• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Married or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lcrowde

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? virginia
my husband and I lived together 6 years in Va. His ex-wife got remarried and told us their divorce had been finalized. In 1991 we got married. In 2000 his ex called she found out their divorce had never been finalized, we got divorce finalized. We are still together, My question are we legally married or do we need to get another liscense and go thru it all again?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? virginia
my husband and I lived together 6 years in Va. His ex-wife got remarried and told us their divorce had been finalized. In 1991 we got married. In 2000 his ex called she found out their divorce had never been finalized, we got divorce finalized. We are still together, My question are we legally married or do we need to get another liscense and go thru it all again?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You need a consult with a local attorney. Your marriage may or may not still be valid. A local attorney is a better source for your answers.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
While I can agree with LD I would also be sure to ask the attorney about putative spouse. Google if you would like. You thought you were legally married and therefore you may still be treated as such.

lcrowde

Thanks for the direction, If I had money to throw around on a lawyer I would have called one, unfortunately I dont. But thanks for your time and advise.

LdiJ

Thanks for the direction, If I had money to throw around on a lawyer I would have called one, unfortunately I dont. But thanks for your time and advise.
Getting a consult with an attorney is not necessarily expensive. No one was suggesting at this point that you need to hire one, only that you need to consult with one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">