• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Married & Separated with Spouse incuring debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jade214

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York; I have been separated from my spouse now for over 4 years and he has not been filing taxes or paying any debts that he has incurred and now I am being pursued by the IRS and also people who he has debts with. Do I have any recourse? If I file divorce papers he will not sign..... and I cannot afford the cost of a divorce? Someone told me that if I publish in the local newspaper that I am no longer responsible for his debts that he incurs then debtors cannot come ofter me anymore is that true??

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York; I have been separated from my spouse now for over 4 years and he has not been filing taxes or paying any debts that he has incurred and now I am being pursued by the IRS and also people who he has debts with. Do I have any recourse? If I file divorce papers he will not sign..... and I cannot afford the cost of a divorce? Someone told me that if I publish in the local newspaper that I am no longer responsible for his debts that he incurs then debtors cannot come ofter me anymore is that true??
Not true at all.

You NEED an attorney ASAP.

LdiJ

The IRS cannot come after you for any tax year that you did not file a joint return with him. Have you filed your own returns since you were separated?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">