• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

marrying a german national on a tourist visa in texas?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tw2008

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas, Austin, Travis County

I'm a Soldier stationed in Germany, and my fiance is a German national. We are traveling together to the States soon and plan to get married while we are there. Is there any paperwork I need to fill out before getting married due to her being a German citizen on tourist visa? What are the steps I need to take in order to legally marry in the States? We won't be applying for permanent residence or a change of status for her immediately, because we will be returning to Germany almost immediately after.

If it's not possible, we will just marry in Germany, but we would like to have my family and other military friends/spouses of ours near for the ceremony.

Thank you in advance.

FarmerJ

I would bet a local US Immigration office would be able to assist you with the information you seek, Also if you had to I guess one way you could do this is to have a civil marriage in Germany and then if desired a religious ceremony here in the USA, The second one can be attended by your family and Im sure you wont have any problem finding a clergy who will perform the ceremony when you provide them a registered copy of the civil ceremony. Your USA ceremony would be with out any lic or recording since it would be the same as a holy union. IF your local clergy get shorts in a knot about doing it then use your local phone book and locate a church that is freindly to gay people since they would have done holy unions in the past too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">