• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Payments for Children of Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

oilman1958

I obtained a divorce in Texas and my divorce decree states that I am 100% responsible without limitations, for all medical, psychological, psychiatric, dental and orthodontics. Does the "without limitation" mean no financial limitation or does it mean no limitation on the procedures sought? My ex-wife wants to have braces put on my 16-year old daughter...this is considered a cosmetic procedure and is not medically necessary. I told my ex that I would be glad to pay for the orthodontic treatment when my daughter reached 18, but she says that I'm legally responsible for the treatment, and that I have no say in the decision of whether to have the treatment or not. I am not denying the treatment, just trying to postpone the treatment. My interpretation of the decree as written is that I am responsible for all of these treatments that are deemed medically needed. The orthodontic treatment would only be for aesthetic purposes to correct one crooked tooth on the bottom jaw.

Thank you for any guidance you can provide.

Mike Beck

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

oilman1958 said:
I obtained a divorce in Texas and my divorce decree states that I am 100% responsible without limitations, for all medical, psychological, psychiatric, dental and orthodontics. Does the "without limitation" mean no financial limitation or does it mean no limitation on the procedures sought? My ex-wife wants to have braces put on my 16-year old daughter...this is considered a cosmetic procedure and is not medically necessary. I told my ex that I would be glad to pay for the orthodontic treatment when my daughter reached 18, but she says that I'm legally responsible for the treatment, and that I have no say in the decision of whether to have the treatment or not. I am not denying the treatment, just trying to postpone the treatment. My interpretation of the decree as written is that I am responsible for all of these treatments that are deemed medically needed. The orthodontic treatment would only be for aesthetic purposes to correct one crooked tooth on the bottom jaw.

Thank you for any guidance you can provide.

Mike Beck
My response:

I see no ambiguities here, Mike. "Without Limitation" means just that. That means the total package. It's when she wants, it's where she wants, it's how she wants, and it's the price she wants. You were the one who agreed to this.

What you're trying to do, is to think of a way to place limitations on a "no limitation" agreement. By wanting to "delay" the treatments, you are placing a limitation into the equation where you have no such limitation. "Without limitations" means the total package. No vagueness, no ambiguities. It's plain and simple.

Just thank your lucky stars that your daughter doesn't want breast implants from a Beverly Hills doctor. Then, guess who gets to pay for that ?

Sorry this wasn't what you wanted to read.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">