• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

medical records

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

maddogruth

Hi,

I need to find out which doctors my daughter has seen on her mother's insurance policy because my ten year old daughter talks about suicide now after seeing her mom, who has full custody for now, go in and out of mental institutions for being suicidal. I do not have a court order to pay my daughter's insurance. I volunteered to several months ago, but my ex refused to release my daughter's medical records to me and to State Farm. I have some of my daughter's medical records from her school. But, I know my daughter has seen a Therapist for the last 5 years. The Therapist's name was not listed in the school's records. I know which insurance companies my ex has used in the past. When I call the insurance companies and tell them I need to know which Doctors my daughter has seen under my ex-wife's policy, they tell me their corporate policy inhibits them from telling me this information.

Do I need a subpeona? If so, how much does a subpoena cost? I thought that since I am her father, I am entitled under the law to know this information about my daughter. Please advise.

Thanks!!

C

cixx

Medical Records

Im no expert but I have worked in Med Records at hospital for 3 yrs. If you have anything in your divorce decree stating that you have right to the records then you can have copies(Make sure you tell them that it is for continuing care). If you look in those records there should be history of past medical problems and sometimes you can find the names of other physicians or facilities that have taken care of your daughter.

U

Ukiah

Re: Medical Records

cixx said:
Im no expert but I have worked in Med Records at hospital for 3 yrs. If you have anything in your divorce decree stating that you have right to the records then you can have copies(Make sure you tell them that it is for continuing care). If you look in those records there should be history of past medical problems and sometimes you can find the names of other physicians or facilities that have taken care of your daughter.
Generally, a parent who has not relinquished any parental rights can not be denied access to their child's records. Of course each state is different, and depending on the laws in your state, you may have to subpoena those records. If it is your insurance that is paying for everything, then I don't see why you would have a problem in getting records.

You could also take your daughter to see a Therapist in your area, and request them to send for copies of her records from that Therapist.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">