• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Rights to Stepmothers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mommy1215

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? colorado
Hello, I am new to this site (my sister recommended it)
I am currently going through legal matters with my ex and his wife. I am a single mother that has a stepmother who is constantly requesting infomation from my son's dr.s. I want to know what if any rights a stepparent has??

thank you for your time
frustrated mom

Proserpina

I am currently going through legal matters with my ex and his wife. I am a single mother that has a stepmother who is constantly requesting infomation from my son's dr.s. I want to know what if any rights a stepparent has??

thank you for your time
frustrated mom
None, basically. A step-parent has no inherent rights to a step-child unless a court orders otherwise.

But could you please be more specific?

Antigone*

thank you for your time
frustrated mom
bubkis...that's what she has...bubkis. She is a legal stranger to your child. Call the doctor's office and ask them to kindly refrain from dealing with her.

Then dad will call the doc's office and get information;)

mommy1215

frustrated mom

in the process of mediation my ex and his wife has taken my son to urgent care and did not notify me until after I called to check on my son. I then didnt get the right information from his father and had to drive to the urgent care to get the medical records from his visit. come to find out he had the swine flu and I was told from his father he ONLY had the seasonal flu. THis obviously annoyed me and I asked my lawyer to make sure that was in the revised parenting plan that we are in the process of agreeing to. with that being said, I recieved an email from his wife to me stating she put my son on the wait list for swine flu vaccination BEFORE he was diagnosed back in september. This annoyed me further as I don't know why she would be callling to put my son on any wait list of any kind with out making sure that his father and I were on agreement on it!! I have perfect control of my son's health!!

With a call to the Dr's offices will there be legal ramifications or should I have my lawyer contact via letter stating they cannot give this informaiton out?

TXMimi

Just curious, couldn't dad have listed her on the records giving the doc's office permission to give the step mom info?

Proserpina

in the process of mediation my ex and his wife has taken my son to urgent care and did not notify me until after I called to check on my son.
How long after they all got home did you find out?

I then didnt get the right information from his father and had to drive to the urgent care to get the medical records from his visit. come to find out he had the swine flu and I was told from his father he ONLY had the seasonal flu.
That would be a very common mistake to make.

THis obviously annoyed me and I asked my lawyer to make sure that was in the revised parenting plan that we are in the process of agreeing to. with that being said, I recieved an email from his wife to me stating she put my son on the wait list for swine flu vaccination BEFORE he was diagnosed back in september.
You do realize, right, that you must be vaccinated BEFORE diagnosis? The vaccine doesn't treat the condition..it tries to prevent it from happening at all. Was she perhaps speaking on behalf of Dad? Did SHE actually put him on some list or was she just informing you that it had happened at all? Is it the list itself that's bothering you, or the fact that she might have stepped in and added him?

This annoyed me further as I don't know why she would be callling to put my son on any wait list of any kind with out making sure that his father and I were on agreement on it!! I have perfect control of my son's health!!
What did Dad say about it? And your "perfect control" can't prevent most childhood illnesses - please realize that.

With a call to the Dr's offices will there be legal ramifications or should I have my lawyer contact via letter stating they cannot give this informaiton out?
Maybe I'm missing something - but I'm not seeing anything major here at all. Your son was taken to urgent care, Dad got the diagnosis mixed up and stepmom informed you that kiddo had been added to a vaccination list before he had been diagnosed. Correct?

Proserpina

One other thing:

You first said stepmom was "constantly" requesting information yet you have given just one scenario and quite frankly I think you're over-reacting a little in that instance.

Now my opinion might change if further details come out....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">