• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mental disorder/family identity theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

goldy68

What is the name of your state? Indiana
I am a responsible person however, I have some real problems and need sound legal advice before entering into bankuptcy. This is my situation:
I was under a lot of stress personally, with family, my job, went over the edge (workaholic, perfectionism, eating/exercise disorder, then shopping disorder). I left the workforce three years ago to help immediate family, have always been a giving person (left work for father heartattack, provided apartment and home for mother after parents separation, paid bills/provided when parents were under financial problems, supported self through college/extra schooling after high school) plus health was failing. Became more of a shop-a-holic (food/grocery/household items) but some necessity, also developed bullemic/anoxeric habits. I also have family history on both sides of my parents of mental disorders and shopping disorders. To make matters worse, I charged items with my parents credit cards and my own. Now we both face bankuptcy mostly due to my faults. My parents didn't know what was going on as I deceived them in believing various stories of where the items were coming from. They trusted me because we had previous family businesses and I held very responsible job positions handling financial matters. I finally faced myself and saw what I was doing was wrong and am following through with mental/physical help to get myself straightened out. I should take full responsibility for all or the majority of my parents debt as well as mine. I realize I was not mentally sound. What can I do, what should they do?
We need help a.s.a.p. Thank you

Gracie3787

goldy68 said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana
I am a responsible person however, I have some real problems and need sound legal advice before entering into bankuptcy. This is my situation:
I was under a lot of stress personally, with family, my job, went over the edge (workaholic, perfectionism, eating/exercise disorder, then shopping disorder). I left the workforce three years ago to help immediate family, have always been a giving person (left work for father heartattack, provided apartment and home for mother after parents separation, paid bills/provided when parents were under financial problems, supported self through college/extra schooling after high school) plus health was failing. Became more of a shop-a-holic (food/grocery/household items) but some necessity, also developed bullemic/anoxeric habits. I also have family history on both sides of my parents of mental disorders and shopping disorders. To make matters worse, I charged items with my parents credit cards and my own. Now we both face bankuptcy mostly due to my faults. My parents didn't know what was going on as I deceived them in believing various stories of where the items were coming from. They trusted me because we had previous family businesses and I held very responsible job positions handling financial matters. I finally faced myself and saw what I was doing was wrong and am following through with mental/physical help to get myself straightened out. I should take full responsibility for all or the majority of my parents debt as well as mine. I realize I was not mentally sound. What can I do, what should they do?
We need help a.s.a.p. Thank you
You answered your own question- " I should take full responsibility for all ...of my parents' debt as well as mine."

What can your parents do? They can figure out what portions of their total debts are actually your debts and let you know the total you should pay to them so that they can pay thier creditors.

Also, continue with your counseling, meds, etc. Keep in mind though that there is a very thin line between a true "disorder" and just plain old irresponsibility.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">