• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mental/Emotional Abuse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MeganMae0650

Im 16 (17 in September) and I really have a strong need to get emancipated. First off, I live in North Carolina. My mother is mentally abusive. If I do something that she doesnt like (from failing my math exam to not putting a plate in the dishwasher) that im a disappointment and that she can't stand to even look at me. Shes called me cow, a b----- and told me I was never going to be anything. She has told me that she should start beating me to get her point across and that she was going to make it where I wouldnt have any contact with the outside world. She's also said she wanted to kill me a few times. She has threw glasses and phones towards me. My step-father is constantly yelling at me and threatening to knock my teeth down my throat. My mother has told me that if I ever tell anyone or call social services she'll find me and beat me to death. I don't know what to do and I can't handle all of this anymore. I feel like im going insane and iv'e been having sucidal thoughts. A few weeks ago I broke and started crying to my cousin about everything that was going on and my great-aunt heard the conversation and has offered to help me and let me live with her. Mom acts like a totally different person in public, just the sweetest and happiest person you've ever met but once shes alone with me she starts everything again. Is there anyway to go around the legal constent of a parent to get emancipated? Or is there any other option I have to get away? Could I possibly file for emancipation and stay with my Aunt until I am emancipated? If she finds out im looking for a way out im afraid she'll beat me and make my life even more horrible. I need out before I break. I need a quick and clean way out where there isnt a possibility of me ever having to be around her again. Please help me.

Proserpina

A teenager with suicidal ideation is never going to be legally emancipated by the court.

If you are being abused you need to call child services or talk to your school guidance counselor/s (they are mandated reporters).

I'm sorry, but you would not qualify for emancipation.

If you Aunt wishes she can try to get guardianship, but if your Mom fights it your Aunt will have to prove that Mom is unfit - which is terrifically difficult to do.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
To be emancipated, one has to be able to fully support oneself, including housing, food and health care.
Article 35.

Emancipation.

§ 7B‑3500. Who may petition.

Any juvenile who is 16 years of age or older and who has resided in the same county in North Carolina or on federal territory within the boundaries of North Carolina for six months next preceding the filing of the petition may petition the court in that county for a judicial decree of emancipation. (1979, c. 815, s. 1; 1998‑202, s. 6.)

§ 7B‑3501. Petition.

The petition shall be signed and verified by the petitioner and shall contain the following information:

(1) The full name of the petitioner and the petitioner's birth date, and state and county of birth;

(2) A certified copy of the petitioner's birth certificate;

(3) The name and last known address of the parent, guardian, or custodian;

(4) The petitioner's address and length of residence at that address;

(5) The petitioner's reasons for requesting emancipation; and

(6) The petitioner's plan for meeting the petitioner's needs and living expenses which plan may include a statement of employment and wages earned that is verified by the petitioner's employer. (1979, c. 815, s. 1; 1998‑202, s. 6.)
Chapter 7B - Article 35

So, no, going to live with great-aunt is not going to get you emancipated.

If your home life is so bad, then you need to talk to your school counselor.

MeganMae0650

Proserpina, I am trying my best to find a option because, I am desperate. That is why ive posted on multiple websites. Im sure you understand this. Ive found my option. Thank you all for your time. :)

Proserpina

Proserpina, I am trying my best to find a option because, I am desperate. That is why ive posted on multiple websites. Im sure you understand this. Ive found my option. Thank you all for your time. :)

You're welcome - but do you understand why I posted the link?

You have no legal options other than contacting CPS, and when you make vague comments like that...well, we become concerned about your welfare.

Specially since you mentioned that you had suicidal ideation.

Please understand - we are volunteers here, and we do this because we care.

MeganMae0650

As you'll see on my other post, I plan to leave tonight and call social services in the morning. Explain to them why I left, and why I dont feel safe being there while they ae investigating. And hope they help me. If they cant then i'll find some other way to stay somewhat safe until I turn 18.

FarmerJ

Meg I hate to say it , but dont egg her on , if she hits you ,LET it happen , it is unfortunate but it may help you to be able to live with your aunt, As far as your moms verbal abuse goes, I had my share of it from my dad, he did a pretty good job destroying my self esteem too. ( this all happened over 3decades ago) I left on my 18th bday. Because you have said she has called you a cow, Im not asking , Im suggesting that if you are like how I was years ago , over weight that you seek help to deal with over eating issues , see I know from personal experiance when ones self esteem is attacked over and over it is easy to begin to use food for comfort, it becomes a nasty cycle. search on toxic familys. yes there is such a thing and know this , once you make 18 , legally your free to end all communications and if you have to move on with out having a a relationship with her so be it. But do focus on addressing all the subtle crap you learned while you were growing up . Do not be afraid to keep reaching out and that may mean use of social services over and over. Most parents who are toxic to theire children all have a public FRONT face they wear and no one from the outside never sees them in action. My dad was a pro , lied all the time the few times I did reach out for help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">