• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mentally ill and live with verbally abusive father

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

needhelpntexas

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I am mentally ill and live with my father. My relationship with him is not healthy.
He is extremely verbally abusive and controlling of me. I suffer from mild depression and am in treatment. My father is highly critical of me. He polices
everything I do looking for fault. He is not involved in my treatment. He knows
nothing about my mental problems.

Living with him is proving to be detrimental to my mental health. He is not supportive of anything I do or want to do and looks for reasons to keep me
from living a normal life.

I am an adult and he has no legal guardianship of me. Unfortunately, I have had many problems with local authorities and adult protective services. My personal and legal rights have been violated numerous times. This is to say I have been forced back into the custody of my father.

He lies about having guardianship of me, tells them I'm suicidal, incompetent
etc. With these claims, according to the authorities, they have no choice but
to return me or they would be accountable if something happens to me.
My fathers claims are not questioned.

In recent days, he has humiliated me in the middle of an intersection over
a truck that has a faulty fuel pump, accusing me of being too dumb to change tanks. He has told me I can't do volunteer work because I stink and
have bad breath and people wouldn't want me around.

Other things happen all the time such as helping him around the yard being griped out because I can't put a chain around a barrel, keep the truck running, get griped out for telling him something needs repairing. Not long
ago I went out of town with him and all he did was shout and scream at
me.

I frequently miss important things I am committed to such as a support group
that is part of my treatment.

Recently another incident with adult protective services occurred, outing my
plans to use lawn mowing money to leave resulting in my father now controlling my income. Information about a place I could go was given out.

I am without the ability to obtain legal help and legal aid has a requirement I
cannot meet. Producing proof of income in the form of a note that says my
father supports me. Guess who has to write it.

I can find no organization that can get involved in this.

I do not know what or even if there is anything I can do.

FarmerJ

Your free to contact your states ombudsmans office for vulnerable adults and learn what programs there are out there. curious , when was your last risk management evaluation ran? State by state Im sure theres alot of differences in programs and funding but I know for sure if you go to your states vulnerable adult unit you should be able to get the assistance you need to not only develop goals and a plan for independance but learn say if you qaulify to be in assisted living or a adult foster care prog.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">