• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mentally Ill Spouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NurseEarl

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? IL

My husband is bipolar. He is also an alcoholic with ten years' sobriety until March 17th. He quit taking his medication and is now actively drinking again. He comes home drunk and you never know what mood swings you'll encounter. One minute he talks of killing himself, the next minute he wants to kill me, then he becomes very friendly. I know the main issue is the fact that he is disabled and I am taking a class to return to work. He hates the fact that I make more money than he does. I know he wants help, but going to the hospital is not the manly thing to do. I believe I can have him committed if he is a danger to himself or others. He is certainly that. I just want what is best for him right now. Whether I walk away from the marriage or not, I cannot stand to see him destroy himself....plus I need some time to get out of here. The kids and I all need to finish the school year. Does anyone know if I can have him hospitalized so he can get the help he needs...especially getting his meds regulated again?

I'm not sure if it will help but look into the Baker Act. It can be used by family and loved ones. If I'm not mistaken it calls for a 72 hr observation. But don't take my "iffy" understanding. Do a google search and good luck.

joan marie *

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">