• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor child wants out!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JAYDEE

I live in the state of Ohio and have a 17 1/2 year old daughter that wants to move out of our home into an apartment. She still has one more year of high school. She also has a good job and financialy would be able to do this on her own. I think it is a good idea for her to do this for various reasons, but do not know the legality of this situation. Is she legaly of age to make her own decisions for independence, or does she have to wait until she turns 18?

I

imaANGEL

I'm not an attorney, but, I grew up in Ohio (California now)and went out on my own at 17 1/2, but I was out of high school. This was a long time ago...the world was a gentler place.

If your daughter is highly responsible and dedicated to the betterment of her own self worth enough to respect her own needs for education, without fail, why not?

I suspect that you will lose your tax deduction for her as a minor child and believe that you are still directly responsible for her actions until she's 18, but, if you have confidence in her and she is indeed capable of setting up her own crib...more power to her!

Just a thought...One thing that I'd make certain of with my daughter, if I were in your shoes, would be to make certain that she participates in a woman's self defense seminar.

Young women are prime targets these days and she should know how to be aware of her surroundings as Mom/Dad won't be monitoring her accountability.

J

JAYDEE

To imaANGEL: Thankyou for the valuable suggestion about the self defense class, as I was not even thinking that far ahead. She is a very determined individual when she gets something in her head, and I truly believe that she is responsible enough and dedicated to her own betterment. I just feel she does not know what she is getting herself into, that is why I think that this would be beneficial for her to test the waters so to speak. If I am correct, she will always have a home to come back to. Thank you again for your input, I very much appreciate it. I will, however, get ahold of an Lawer to find out for sure. JAY DEE.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">