• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor Competence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dbarash

At what age in Massachusetts, is a minor considered competent to make a cash gift of $10,000 to an adult?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

dbarash said:
At what age in Massachusetts, is a minor considered competent to make a cash gift of $10,000 to an adult?
My response:

First, you need to understand that even a gift is a form of contract - - something given in exchange for, for example, love, gratitude, or some other intangible reason.

Under the law, a minor is not considered "competent" in certain situations, as in contract law. There is no age minumum that a child can give a gift of any size or type. But, there is a problem nevertheless.

The problem is not the child giving the gift, so much, as it is the adult accepting such a gift. You see, because it is a form of contract, the adult would be "on the hook" for return of the gift until the minor is 18 or over - - that's because a child can "rescind" a contract, and the "consideration" of the contract.

The only time a child cannot rescind a contract is when the consideration for the contract is for the "necessities of life"; e.g., food, shelter, clothing, medical, etc.

So, the adult who's accepting the $10,000.00 "gift" had better "walk on eggshells" until the kid turns 18 - - otherwise he could say, "You know, I really don't like you. I want my money back and I hereby rescind the contract and gift I gave to you when I was 17."

Good luck to you.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">