• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor Pregnancy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Aubrie

I am a 19 year old male and I don't know if I'm asking the right person but...I have a girlfriend that is pregnant and I want to know a couple of things. She is 15 years old and not more than a month along, she'll be 16 in 2 months, we haven't talked to either her nor my parents about this yet. I have a stable job and am willing to have the baby live with me. She agrees to this to, but if her mother didn't want the kid to live with me (her being 16 not 18) can her mother have the rights to decide that or can my girl friend and I have the rights? And another thing, my girlfriend and I willing had sex together, all I hear is people saying stagitory rape I didn't rape her, I wanted to know if I could get put behind bars for a long time for not even harming her, I've gone out with her forever and plan on marrying her. I have my own apartment and good job and insurance and want to raise this child. I just don't want her parents or anybody else take those rights away from us. I mean I know her parents have rights over her until she's 18 but the baby is ours.

J

jwf49

The following is based on personal experience in Ohio. My son who was 18 at the time had a child with a 16 year old girl. In Ohio the age of majority is 18, and by definition sex with a minor constitutes statutory rape. The legal theory is that a minor cannot grant consent. I presently live in Michigan and they have just sentenced an 18 year old boy to three years probation for statutory rape of his 14 year old girl friend, who was not pregnant.

My son was fortunate in that the mother of the pregnant girl didn't want her grand child's father to have a criminal record. Also, her medical insurance covered the minor pregnant mother, who went on to finish high school. Now 4 years hence, my son and his girl friend can not stand each other and we have moved on to issues of child support, visitation, etc.

I am not a lawyer or a counselor, just a parent who has been through this before. My best advise is to understand the laws of your state relative to age of majority, paternity and parents rights. Once your understand that, then let patience and good judgement be your guide on how you approach your girlfriend and her parents.

LegalBeagle

Aubrie said:
I am a 19 year old male and I don't know if I'm asking the right person but...I have a girlfriend that is pregnant and I want to know a couple of things. She is 15 years old and not more than a month along, she'll be 16 in 2 months, we haven't talked to either her nor my parents about this yet. I have a stable job and am willing to have the baby live with me. She agrees to this to, but if her mother didn't want the kid to live with me (her being 16 not 18) can her mother have the rights to decide that or can my girl friend and I have the rights? And another thing, my girlfriend and I willing had sex together, all I hear is people saying stagitory rape I didn't rape her, I wanted to know if I could get put behind bars for a long time for not even harming her, I've gone out with her forever and plan on marrying her. I have my own apartment and good job and insurance and want to raise this child. I just don't want her parents or anybody else take those rights away from us. I mean I know her parents have rights over her until she's 18 but the baby is ours.
In KS, you have commited a felony under 21-3503 of the KS statutes. When the law finds out, you will be arrested. A CHILD under 16 can not give consent to sex. You DID rape her. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, ignorance of common sense is even worse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">