• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor's Rights to move out/disown a parent (17)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Nystix

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

Does a 17 year old have the right to move out of the house, without parental consent? If not, do they have the right to terminate their parents rights (as in disown the parent)? Is there standards which must first be met besides showing competence and ability for independent living? Thanks.

A note; I believe this falls under emancipation, am I correct? What does this involve, I've had some trouble making sense of it.

Last edited:

nextwife

MY understanding of "disowning" which is total severing of the familial relationship, as to inheritance rights etc, vs. emancipation is that emancipation is financial, legal independence. They are different concepts.

At 17, true independence, in practical terms, is very diificult to acheive unless you have an inheritance to rely upon. Why? Employment and earning potential is limited by both child labor laws and lack of post secondary education AND by the limits on contracting rights of minors. A 17 year old cannot legally enter into contracts. Which means apartment rental, lease, finance purchases, etc. So accomplishing total financial and legal independence under such conditions is pretty hard to do.

Last edited:
N

Nystix

additional question...

Thanks for clearing that up; I wondered what the difference was (As there's tons of different information out there; but it's hard to sort through everything and a ton of reading). I was wondering if you were familiar, given the below information about myself, of a law which would allow me to live without consent, independently knowing that it would be difficult? Also, would it be possible for me to move in with a friend (over 18)?

1) I am taking college courses, through my high school and have worked with a Web Hosting company for 2 years now; doing development for businesses websites. I also have references and skills already established in the "real world".

2) My grades in high school are not exemplary, but I score in the top 97% in SAT scores, thus qualifying me for some secondary schooling.

3) I am interested in moving out before 18 because the relationship between my parents and I is strained (Such as continual arguments, minor physical and greater emotional distress/abuse) and I hope to salvage something out of the 17 years. Unfortunately, I have little/no proof and in comparison to my father, no political power here so would be incapable of proving in a court case that it was a necessity and they have already promised their opposition to my moving out. I can, however, demonstrate skills and abilities to live on my own, successfully and manage school/life challenges.

N

Nystix

Alternatives

So what might some alternatives be if this is true? (This would explain why I encountered so many problems finding information). The only emancipation official documents I have located are those based off grounds of abuse, or incompetence on the parents part. I can prove neither.

M

manda2020

The age of majority in your state is 18, I believe. So besides sweating it out, the only thing I could think of is maybe your parents would be willing to sign guardianship papers to someone in your family til you complete high school.

N

Nystix

Hmm...

Unfortunately, that is not an option for me. Thanks, everyone for your help. Looks like I can take it from here :) Wish me luck! (My parents will not sign guardianship papers, they do not believe there is a problem with their continual abuse)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">