• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mom & dad separated...he lived with me. He passed unexpectedly. I get all dr. bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

paige_ob

Mom & dad separated...he lived with me. He passed unexpectedly. I get all dr. bills

What is the name of your state? Illinois My father passed away. My mother and him were separated for 2 yrs. He lived with me. I am receiving all doctor bills and creditors calling. Am I responsible??? And is my mother???

Last edited:

N

nhunsb1

Are they still married (your parents)?
How old are you?

kat1963

You might want to consider posting this on the will & probate board. You will also want to include if he had a will, assets. ect. But just in general however, his estate would be responsible for paying his medical & funeral bills before distribution. So if he had anything of value, it would have to be liquidated to pay the bills first. I really don't believe you can be held personally responsible if he passed with no assets...but again, repost w/additional details on the above board.
I'm sorry about your Dad.....
KAT

H

happy divorce

You are not responsible. The estate is. You may be the executor of the estate and that is the *only* responsibility you *may* have. There is no rules requiring you to pay it out of your personal funds, his debts is his debts. This is not a state specific issue, it is generally governed by federal law (collection practices, FCRA, etc.)

Next question: Is your mother responsible? Most likely yes. Because she was married to him. Creditors can go after either spouse. (this is an issue comonly addressed in divorce law but it applies here as well.)

Last edited:
C

cyana

<Next question: Is your mother responsible? Most likely yes. Because she was married to him. Creditors can go after either spouse. (this is an issue comonly addressed in divorce law but it applies here as well.)>

Not entirely true. This would only apply to any of their "joint" debts since IL is not a Community Property state. And unless you had joint accounts with him, you're not required to pay any of his debts either.

H

happy divorce

I must concur with the above. My statement regarding joint liability is based on California law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">