• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moms maiden name at marriage?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mom's girl

How??? :)

I'm american, my fiance' is german and we both live in Berlin, Germany. We are going to get married at Disney in September but here's the twist: we want to take on my MOTHER's maiden name into our marriage. The reasons are fairly simple and there are three:

1) My name, "Jones". Here it's pronounced wrong, meaning "YO-nezz".

[2) His name, "Kunzmann". If we EVER want to relocate back to the states, and believe we DO, Kunzmann is NOT the best name for any child to have in elementary school. And if they haven't figured it out by then, then middle school is going to be a wonderful surprise!

3) My mother's maiden name is "Cook". Not only is her side of the family the side I'm more familiar with, but also we have some relation to the famous Captain Cook which I've always been rather proud of. *sheepish grin*

So now for the big question. HOW do I go about getting my name changed (in Orlando FL?) before our marriage? I mean, I've been away so long, I wouldn't have the slightest idea to look! I've never had to change my name like this before! But on the other hand, I'm sure I'm not the first gal to take a different name other than her partner's.
What institutions are resonsilbe for this change? Family law? Civil? I appreciate ANY help from anyone!
~ Thanks!! ;)

1 more thing: One rumor I've heard is that a couple can even take on a third name at the time of the wedding ceremony (civil or religious in FL) - how true is that?! Sounds too good to be true. And you know what they say.... :)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

I FULLY understand your concerns, Frauline. "Kunzmann," while nice when prounounced with a Germanic accent, is "terror" in the playground.

Therefore, I insist you must change your first male child's name to "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE, JR." - - and, you can learn how to do this, and all other reasons for a name change, by reading this link:

http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/changename/changenameFULL.html

Good luck to you, and before you come back to the States, please give my best to Eva - - a real sassy, and classy broad who knew how to pick upright, law abiding, macho, Austrian men with funny looking mustaches, who were destined to become infamous in "Ze Fazzer Land."

Heil !

IAAL

M

Mom's girl

Acgh, Vell sedt Fräulein Leipel! ;) I koot nodt haff seditt bet-tah.

But... let's face it. Adolf was a jerk wasn't he?. And a little whiney pants. So why does he still get so much attention?

And fluently speaking german, while funny for a moment, is quite the challenge at any great coctail party. *hick* At least for most foreigners. Having mastered this art quite fluently myself (fluidly?), let me say that neither Kunzmann nor Jones brings me "Freude" in either country, in either language! :D

And as for the link - thank you for your kind and generous help - but how one so enjoys saying it in american--- "Been there. Done that." ;) This is where I found out the "rumor" about the 3rd name. Or maybe I read it wrong or understood it wrong. Either way something's not right, which means, I'm still here! LOL! Oh the joy!

Oh, but a polite tip for the future, please! ::: almost ALL germans ****hate it**** (major emphasis here) when the first, second, 3rd, or any reference is made about WWII or Hitler. I can understand it. They hear it over and over and over and over again. It's in all the movies. And so ironically, many (non-military) Americans are often approached with the same swiftness of conversation on the well-known topics of having slaughtered an entire culture, having enslaved another, and for still not having had any of their own, while at the same time claiming to be THE superpower of the world while their 13 year olds blow themselves away during public school.

Okay, so every country has it's faults. But this is what makes it all interesting, right? The pizza, the politics and the personality! I've traveled all my life...and each place has it's beauty and pitfalls. No country is truly better that I can see. It depends purely on what you want. You want physical space and freedom? Go to the US. Drive a car for two weeks in a straight line and you'll never once need your passport. You want intellectual and emotional freedom? Go to Germany. Drive half a day or less in any direction (um, on the AUTObahn of course!) and land in a different language, currency (for now) and lifestyle.

But if you want the best dang pizza in the entire world, go to the island of Corsica, to a tiny little town called Bonifacio.

But I think I'm rambling way off the subject. :)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

I'm in love. You've got my heart. Leave your husband. I want you now !

Intelligence, and I'm sure, beauty, is your apparent hallmark. Please tell me you're blonde or a redhead, and I'll be your man-slave for life ! Come back to the States - - all I want is 10 minutes (typical, right?).

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">