• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mother died,father responsible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shyann

my mother recently passed away after surgery in alabama.she was in the hospital 3 times. the first time a paper was signed by her saying she could pay $10 a month on the hospital bill. the 2nd time a paper was signed by my father saying he could pay $25 a month on the bill. the 3rd time she was in the hospital no papers were signed by either of them. my father is getting doctor and hospital bills in his name and hers. she was on fixed income (social security) and 63 yrs. old. he is on fixed income also and neither had any insurance. is he liable for any of the bills related to her illness and eventual surgery? can they put a lien on his home? the home is in both of their names. he has 2 yrs left to pay it off.

D

dorenephilpot

If he signed papers saying that he would be responsible for her medical debts, then, yes, he can be held responsible for those debts.

He's not responsible for the debts in HER name, unless she had a decent-sized estate that the creditors go after, which it doesn't sound like in their case.

I would suggest that you take him to see a lawyer to discuss the options available to him. Many offer free initial consultations.

R

rentertooo

YO shy ann

YUP you shor r shy dat 4 sure.......

If you werent so shy you would have talked to your parents and get the to sign over the house to the kids, so that they could be able to use medicaid in 3 to 5 years.

The states have a look back of 3 to 5 years of any transfer of assets to the kids, to avoid paying hospital bills....

see what being shy has done ...put your father in a bad finacial situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">