• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother is getting SS benefits but not using it properly.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BilylPeterson

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

My sister in law receives something like $900.00 in SS benefits for her daughter who's father died in a car accident. My brother has adopted her. She (the mother) still get's the check, but isn't using it properly. She spends nearly the entire check on herself, we suspect drugs. My brother provides entirely for the girl.

So how can the government send a check with no strings attached and allow people to blow the money on anything they want???
Is there any way I could turn her or something to that effect?

OHRoadwarrior

You need to stay out of your brothers marital problems. If he married a self indulgent spendthrift, he is free to divorce her. Allocation of the money in their household is not your problem.

Eekamouse

It's none of your business. Why do you even care? Are you jealous of her or something? You should stop sticking your nose in her business because chances are, you likely don't have all the facts anyway.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

My sister in law receives something like $900.00 in SS benefits for her daughter who's father died in a car accident. My brother has adopted her. She (the mother) still get's the check, but isn't using it properly. She spends nearly the entire check on herself, we suspect drugs. My brother provides entirely for the girl.

So how can the government send a check with no strings attached and allow people to blow the money on anything they want???
Short answer: No. :cool:

Proserpina

The girl has a roof over her head, yes? Food in her belly? Clothing?

Then she's provided for.

End. Of. Story.

Though I am curious - if Mama is spending ALL of this money on drugs, why isn't Dad more concerned about the drug use around HIS CHILD?

Oh...never mind. It's all about the money.

Not that it's HIS business actually, what the child's SSDI is spend on. NONE of his business.

BilylPeterson

Because this is a societal problem. My brother is an idiot. I don't think the State should had money out to drug users and let them support the Mexican Cartells.

I'm trying to right a very serious wrong/flaw in our system. This is why we are 16 trillion in debt. Morons like you just sit by the side and go "oh well, not my problem." Way to live life.

Proserpina

Because this is a societal problem. My brother is an idiot. I don't think the State should had money out to drug users and let them support the Mexican Cartells.
Your brother isn't alone, it appears.

I'm trying to right a very serious wrong/flaw in our system. This is why we are 16 trillion in debt. Morons like you just sit by the side and go "oh well, not my problem." Way to live life.

Hmmm. So, what's your alternative?

What is YOUR answer to it, dear?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

Dude, you don't have a clue about survivor benefits. Those are the benefits that the deceased paid into the SS system. It is not welfare nor is it means tested.

You need to find a hobby. :cool:

Isis1

this always cracks me up.

let's pretend this is fraud. just to indulge the poster for a minute. this SSDP program. it's FEDERAL. not state. making this BIGGER fraud than normal.

first, this is SUPPORT for the child. that was being put in by the dead father during his life span. this isn't needs based like SSI.

so say of mom was make $5K a month...she's still be receiving the $900 from the federal government as a payout of if what WOULD have been the dead father's retirement/disability insurance.

second. you wouldn't be getting MOM into trouble, you'd be getting YOUR BROTHER into trouble. because he would be JUST as liable. because he is LEGALLY MARRIED!!!! if she gets into trouble, HE gets into trouble. any monies recovered would come out of HIS pocket since he's more collectible.

so...you need to mind your own business. (write that down as a New Year's Resolution #1)

because there isn't any fraud. you are just trying to get your brother and his wife into trouble. for no reason. because they aren't doing anything wrong.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
this always cracks me up.

let's pretend this is fraud. just to indulge the poster for a minute. this SSDI program. it's FEDERAL. not state. making this BIGGER fraud than normal.

first, this is SUPPORT for the child. that was being put in by the dead father during his life span. this isn't needs based like SSI.

so say of mom was make $5K a month...she's still be receiving the $900 from the federal government as a payout of if what WOULD have been the dead father's retirement/disability insurance.

second. you wouldn't be getting MOM into trouble, you'd be getting YOUR BROTHER into trouble. because he would be JUST as liable. because he is LEGALLY MARRIED!!!! if she gets into trouble, HE gets into trouble. any monies recovered would come out of HIS pocket since he's more collectible.

so...you need to mind your own business. (write that down as a New Year's Resolution #1)

because there isn't any fraud. you are just trying to get your brother and his wife into trouble. for no reason. because they aren't doing anything wrong.
Psssst -- Isis dear -- this is NOT SSDI -- Social security Disability -- this is Social Security Dependent benefits.

dannyt

if you want to continue to see your niece, stay out of mom's business before she cuts you off from contact. you dont know what she spends it on, and frankly, its not your business. she doesnt need your permission to spend this money. its for HER daughter, and shes allowed to spend it as she sees fit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">