• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother is harm to herself

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sbennett333

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

I need to know some info on what to do about my mother. She has abused her meds (Oxycotin and Flexoril) for several years. In March she was hospitlized for the first time due to her abuse because she also took Ativan with her Oxycotin and started hallucinating. She had stolen the Ativan from my grandmother who is beign treated for breast cancer, which she also stole her Hydrocodone. During our hospital visit the doctors could not committ her because they said she wasnt a danger to herself or others. Her behavior has escalated since then and she has also had a heart attack, but she still continues to abuse meds. She also continues to hallucinate but we are unsure of why it is happening, because we do not think she is getting any more anti-anxiety meds. How can we have her committed? What constitutes as being a danger to herself? She has also threatened that if my grandmother does not live she will not either. And she is also falling over and getting bruises and hitting her head.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You would need to prove that she is incompetent in a court of law in order to be appointed her guardian and force her into treatment. Until that time she has a right to abuse drugs.

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

I need to know some info on what to do about my mother. She has abused her meds (Oxycotin and Flexoril) for several years. In March she was hospitlized for the first time due to her abuse because she also took Ativan with her Oxycotin and started hallucinating. She had stolen the Ativan from my grandmother who is beign treated for breast cancer, which she also stole her Hydrocodone. During our hospital visit the doctors could not committ her because they said she wasnt a danger to herself or others. Her behavior has escalated since then and she has also had a heart attack, but she still continues to abuse meds. She also continues to hallucinate but we are unsure of why it is happening, because we do not think she is getting any more anti-anxiety meds. How can we have her committed? What constitutes as being a danger to herself? She has also threatened that if my grandmother does not live she will not either. And she is also falling over and getting bruises and hitting her head.
Why hasn't anyone called Adult Protective Services?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">