• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother-in-law is keeping my son away from me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

weeman96863

What is the name of your state? MN and HI

I believe my mother-in-law and my wife's aunt persuaded my wife to leave me. She has been missing for about a week. I've already filed a missing persons report with two police depts, Honolulu PD in Hawaii and St.Paul PD in Minnesota. Its weird that her family and her aunt is avoiding my calls, they are also avoiding my families and the polices calls. I want to know if I can press charges on them for keeping my wife and son away from me. I'm worried about there safty. Heres what happened.... I came home from work to find a note on the door from my wife saying " I went for a walk, be back later, love (her name)" I assumed she did because the stroller and diaper bag was gone. it got dark and I started to worry, so I called her aunt, since her number was the last number on the caller ID just a hour before I came home. someone picked up and immediatly hung up. After that i've been getting her voice mail, then I called her mom, she seemed calm about it. since I've called her she has not attempted to call me and ask about her. So I think they know something. then I called the police and filed a missing persons report, they in turn called MN and issued one there too. I don't know what to do???? is there any legal way I can get in contact with my wife or her family?

LdiJ

weeman96863 said:

I believe my mother-in-law and my wife's aunt persuaded my wife to leave me. She has been missing for about a week. I've already filed a missing persons report with two police depts, Honolulu PD in Hawaii and St.Paul PD in Minnesota. Its weird that her family and her aunt is avoiding my calls, they are also avoiding my families and the polices calls. I want to know if I can press charges on them for keeping my wife and son away from me. I'm worried about there safty. Heres what happened.... I came home from work to find a note on the door from my wife saying " I went for a walk, be back later, love (her name)" I assumed she did because the stroller and diaper bag was gone. it got dark and I started to worry, so I called her aunt, since her number was the last number on the caller ID just a hour before I came home. someone picked up and immediatly hung up. After that i've been getting her voice mail, then I called her mom, she seemed calm about it. since I've called her she has not attempted to call me and ask about her. So I think they know something. then I called the police and filed a missing persons report, they in turn called MN and issued one there too. I don't know what to do???? is there any legal way I can get in contact with my wife or her family?
Well....one of two things is going on here. Either they know exactly where she is. Or they believe that you have something to do with her disappearance so they are avoiding you.

I suspect its the first one.

No, you can't press any charges against them. Its time to get yourself a consult with an attorney....and you may need a PI to locate your wife so that she can be served with any necessary court documents.

Sounds a little fishy if you ask me. I'm sorry to say but in reading your post I really got a bad vibe.

What reason would she have to just up and leave you? Were you having marital problems? Why would her family persuade her to leave you? Are you abusive? I may be wrong but for some reason you remind me of the husband on "sleeping with the enemy". Acting all concerned when really what you want is your "property" back.

Like I said, I could be totally wrong.

Zephyr

AmarieNorton said:
Sounds a little fishy if you ask me. I'm sorry to say but in reading your post I really got a bad vibe.

What reason would she have to just up and leave you? Were you having marital problems? Why would her family persuade her to leave you? Are you abusive? I may be wrong but for some reason you remind me of the husband on "sleeping with the enemy". Acting all concerned when really what you want is your "property" back.

Like I said, I could be totally wrong.
while this could totally true, there is also the possibility that this is like the runaway bride from georgia last summer, and we see in the boards ALL the time how parents can seemingly easily manipulate and control their adult children....I would think though that if the police are involved and they found mom and kid with one of her relatives they would have at least told dad they are both alive even if they wouldn't give him their location.

did mom work? has she been at work in the last week or have they heard from her? does the child go to school or day care or play group? have they been there or at least called saying they wouldn't be there?

AHA

weeman96863 said:

What else did she bring apart from the stroller and diapers?
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but she might not be missing voluntarily.
Have you had issued with her mom and the rest of her family and friends, that would make them keep info from you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">