• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother of my daughter wants to move to my state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

confused11966

I live in NJ and my ex wife lives in NC

The mother of my daughter (ex wife) wants to move to nj to be closer to family and also it seems like we are getting back together. She does however have a child with someone in NC. She was supposed to give 30 days notice to move and she did and now has a court date. My question is that can she be made to stay in that state when all of her family and the father of one of her children (me) live in another? He hasn't showed up for visitation and lives 20 min from where she lives now. thank you for your time

Perky

If the other father contests the move, then the mother may be prevented from moving the child out of state. Lack of visitation may or may not be a factor in the decision.

ariastar

If the father contests it, the mother can still move, but the child may have to stay, meaning custody to the father. If he's not exercising his right to visitation, a judge may take that into consideration and allow the move.

I think what you need to be asking is can the new child be moved to another state. The mother is free to move.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">