• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mrs. Turner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

phelanites

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? california
This is a question in regards to the state of my entire family's mental health. I was told that my father in law is clinically bi polar. I know that this condition is hereditary. My husband has recently started acting out in ways that none of us understand. We all live in his parents home with them, he is glorified by his father, and is a puppet in his father re-living his life. I have 3 young sons by him, and am perplexed with the situation. Is there any legal way to have him checked out?

Isis1

This is a question in regards to the state of my entire family's mental health. I was told that my father in law is clinically bi polar. I know that this condition is hereditary. My husband has recently started acting out in ways that none of us understand. We all live in his parents home with them, he is glorified by his father, and is a puppet in his father re-living his life. I have 3 young sons by him, and am perplexed with the situation. Is there any legal way to have him checked out?
your husband would need to be diagnosed by a doctor. as the wife, you have no power to have him forced to take an evaluation.

Proserpina

Thankfully although your FIL has it doesn't necessarily mean anything was passed on to your husband, although I absolutely understand your concern!

There are many reasons why someone's habits and actions (and even personality traits) can change - is this sudden, or has it happened gradually?

I don't want to get carried away with the medical side of things as it's really not relevant to your question but if you can share your concerns with your husband he may be willing to agree to a check-up. But unless he's an imminent danger to himself or others there's nothing you can do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">