• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ms.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Greta Gaskill

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
I have been living with this man for 10 yrs and now he wants to end things but financially I cannot live on my own. I moved from another state and was living with my mother (who has since passed away) and have no one here I can turn to. I guess my question is: does he have the legal right to just throw me out after 10 years. I have invested alot into the house which we live in now and is in his name. I pay all the utilities and food plus all of my own bills. All he pays is the mortgage and his bills. Legally where do I stand?

Proserpina

I have been living with this man for 10 yrs and now he wants to end things but financially I cannot live on my own. I moved from another state and was living with my mother (who has since passed away) and have no one here I can turn to. I guess my question is: does he have the legal right to just throw me out after 10 years. I have invested alot into the house which we live in now and is in his name. I pay all the utilities and food plus all of my own bills. All he pays is the mortgage and his bills. Legally where do I stand?
Did you ever present yourselves as common law married?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Legally he can file eviction and you are gone. You are not married. You are not on the house deed. So legally you are not entitled to remain there. Start looking for another place -- even a studio apartment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">