• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My father is on his death bed and...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmiejam

Oh, and to stealth 2... Your little quote on the bottom of your reply about rabbits and morons.....shows that you think your better than others, so your opinion to me means squat.

Silverplum

Oh, and to stealth 2... Your little quote on the bottom of your reply about rabbits and morons.....shows that you think your better than others, so your opinion to me means squat.
That's his/her signature -- many of us have them -- it's not directed personally at you. For instance, I have not made you any pudding, nor do I plan to do so. :p

If you read 50 posts apiece in the custody and child support forums alone, you'd understand stealth's signature line. :rolleyes:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
As Silverplum already posted - that's called a sig line. All it is is a quote from a book that amused me. However, I am better than others quite often. For example, it would never occur to me to put my own financial gain over my father's happiness with a woman who he has spent a lifetime with. Unlike you. So stuff that one in your ear. :p

garrula lingua

j$i$m$m$i$e jam:

I was stage IV cancer in 1999.

I sold a house, consolidated our bills, did a living will (everything I put off, & everything I could do to protect my husband), while I was at City of Hope (bless them) for two bone marrow transplants.

I used the hospital's notary, and my Dr. discussed my mental acuity & was very supportive.

My prayers are with your Dad and his lady.

garrula lingua

The spouse would have 'dower' rights (aka 'widow's elective').

She could take the share stated in the will (testate), or she could elect to take 1/2 (intestate amt), if I remember Wills & Trusts from years ago (and, per Jimjam's reasoning, I'm not mentally competent).

The point about his Social Security benefits being available to her if they marry was a very astute observation.

BelizeBreeze

The spouse would have 'dower' rights (aka 'widow's elective').

She could take the share stated in the will (testate), or she could elect to take 1/2 (intestate amt), if I remember Wills & Trusts from years ago (and, per Jimjam's reasoning, I'm not mentally competent).

The point about his Social Security benefits being available to her if they marry was a very astute observation.
In the spirit of Continuing Education :D

1. Surviving spouse. A surviving spouse is generally first in line to get any assets from the intestate estate. However, the amount a surviving spouse is entitled to varies as follows:

If the decedent left no surviving descendants or parents, the surviving spouse is entitled to the entire intestate estate.
If all of the decedent's surviving descendants are also descendants of the surviving spouse and there is no other descendant of the surviving spouse who survives the decedent, the surviving spouse gets the first $150,000 plus one-half of any remaining assets in the intestate estate.
If no descendant of the decedent survives the decedent, but a parent of the decedent survives, the surviving spouse gets the first $150,000 plus three-fourths of any remaining assets in the intestate estate.
If all of the decedent's surviving descendants are also descendants of the surviving spouse and the surviving spouse has 1 or more surviving descendants who are not decedent's descendants, the surviving spouse gets the first $150,000 plus one-half of any remaining assets in the intestate estate.
If one or more, but not all, of the decedent's surviving descendants are not descendants of the surviving spouse, the surviving spouse gets the first $150,000 plus one-half of any remaining assets in the intestate estate.
If none of the decedent's surviving descendants are descendants of the surviving spouse, the surviving spouse gets the first $100,000 plus one-half of any remaining assets in the intestate estate.
The specific dollar amounts listed above are subject to an annual cost-of-living adjustment.

2. Heirs other than surviving spouse. Any part of the intestate estate not passing to the surviving spouse as indicated above, or the entire intestate estate if there is no surviving spouse, passes as follows to:

Decedent's children, and their descendants, in equal parts, the descendants of the deceased child or grandchild to take the share of the deceased parent in equal parts among them.
Decedent's parent or parents equally.
Decedent's parents' descendants (e.g., decedent's brothers and sisters).
Decedent's grandparents or their descendants. Half of the estate passes to the decedent's paternal grandparents equally if both survive, or to the surviving paternal grandparent, or to the descendants of the decedent's paternal grandparents, or either of them if both are deceased. The other half passes to the decedent's maternal relatives in the same manner. If there is no surviving grandparent or descendant of a grandparent on either the paternal or the maternal side, however, the entire estate passes to the decedent's relatives on the other side in the same manner as the half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">