• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is my marriage void?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nooneimp123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey
I was celebrating my best friends 26th birthday on June 21st this year. I had been married on June 2nd of 2000 and he was one of the 2 witnesses at the ceremony. I know that to marry in NJ you need 2 adult(over 18) witnesses. So my question now is:
IS MY MARRIAGE VOID? :confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

moburkes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey
I was celebrating my best friends 26th birthday on June 21st this year. I had been married on June 2nd of 2000 and he was one of the 2 witnesses at the ceremony. I know that to marry in NJ you need 2 adult(over 18) witnesses. So my question now is:
IS MY MARRIAGE VOID? :confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Nope, not at all.

nooneimp123

If you wouldn't mind could you elaborate. Does it mean anything that one witness was 17? Has too much time passed? Do the witnesses even matter? Can the marriage be voided now because the witness was not 18? I appreciate the response but it didn't enlighten me.

Last edited:

racer72

Only a judge can rule if you marriage is valid or not. Also, if it can be proven you knew the person was underage, you could be charged with marriage fraud.

las365

What is your goal? Do you want to attempt to have your marriage declared void? Or do you want to make sure that you are legally married?

Farfalla

It was just something I realized now while I'm preparing for this long divorce process.
Does you spouse know that one of the witnesses was under 18?

Didn't the person performing the marriage check ID's on the obviously very young witnesses?

I was at a wedding last week in which both witnesses were. Their id's were checked. I watched the minister do it.

Do you expect your spouse will claim that a valid marriage did not exist? Or do you think that you might be better off if the marriage was never valid?

nooneimp123

The obviously very young witness probably looked the oldest, the whole wedding was young. LOL I was 19 the bride 16 he was one witness at 17 and the other witness was her mother who also gave her the consent. I don't remember anyone checking ids but I could be wrong(It was 8 years ago) maybe they thought that day(June 2) was his birthday instead of (June 21). I expect her to claim that the marriage was valid and try for some kind of alimony(Eventhough I'm the lesser making spouse). I would prefer getting the marriage voided just to avoid the family fallout that's already begun. Divorce is still kind of Taboo in my family.

LdiJ

The obviously very young witness probably looked the oldest, the whole wedding was young. LOL I was 19 the bride 16 he was one witness at 17 and the other witness was her mother who also gave her the consent. I don't remember anyone checking ids but I could be wrong(It was 8 years ago) maybe they thought that day(June 2) was his birthday instead of (June 21). I expect her to claim that the marriage was valid and try for some kind of alimony(Eventhough I'm the lesser making spouse). I would prefer getting the marriage voided just to avoid the family fallout that's already begun. Divorce is still kind of Taboo in my family.
That's not going to work, you would still have to get a divorce to actually void the marriage.

If you make less than she does, then alimony is not an issue for you.

Just deal with the divorce. Its never pleasant for anyone.

moburkes

LdiJ is correct. You can't have it both ways. You can't claimt ohave been married all these years, and then, now, since a separartion is pending, you want to claim the marriage VOID. This is a challenge that should have been brought before a judge a LONG time ago. At this late date, 8 years later, your only option is a divorce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">