• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My mom died and my family is denying me of assets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ziladien

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I currently live in Philly, PA but my mom died in Puerto Rico (US territory)

My mom died 2 months ago, my brother is a minor (19) and he's "dealing" with the details of her death. My mom worked in the PR government, so her retirements go to us, but my brother is been keeping me in the dark and not accepting my calls. Honestly, all I really want are pictures of my mom and some of the belongings she bought/left for us. I'm pregnant and before all this happened she sent me $200 with my brother who ultimately pocketed it and since he bought me the plane ticket (with my mother's credit card before she died) so I could spend the last minutes with her, he has everyone of my family against me and saying I don't deserve any of the money she had. This is not fair since she left that money for both of us, specially for our children (his wife is also pregnant).

Funny thing is, he now has a new house, new car and he bought his girl a new ring, this is him claiming he has no money and he works at minimum wage (6.25p/h in PR)... I want to claim what's rightfully mine, what can I do? Can I go ahead and sue?

Forgot to say, I'm 22 and I'm giving birth in January.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I currently live in Philly, PA but my mom died in Puerto Rico (US territory)

My mom died 2 months ago, my brother is a minor (19) and he's "dealing" with the details of her death. My mom worked in the PR government, so her retirements go to us, but my brother is been keeping me in the dark and not accepting my calls. Honestly, all I really want are pictures of my mom and some of the belongings she bought/left for us. I'm pregnant and before all this happened she sent me $200 with my brother who ultimately pocketed it and since he bought me the plane ticket (with my mother's credit card before she died) so I could spend the last minutes with her, he has everyone of my family against me and saying I don't deserve any of the money she had. This is not fair since she left that money for both of us, specially for our children (his wife is also pregnant).

Funny thing is, he now has a new house, new car and he bought his girl a new ring, this is him claiming he has no money and he works at minimum wage (6.25p/h in PR)... I want to claim what's rightfully mine, what can I do? Can I go ahead and sue?

19 is not a minor. Did your mom leave a will? Who were the beneficiaries of her life insurance and retirement? If you were not listed, you get nothing. Was probate opened? How do you know ANYTHING is RIGHTFULLY yours?

Antigone*

How do you know that anything is "rightfully yours?"

Ziladien

19 is not a minor. Did your mom leave a will? Who were the beneficiaries of her life insurance and retirement? If you were not listed, you get nothing. Was probate opened? How do you know ANYTHING is RIGHTFULLY yours?
In Puerto Rico, he's considered a minor until he's 21, which in this case - he's still a minor by Puerto Rican eyes. We're both beneficiaries of her retirement, her will is now magically "lost" but I was only one listed in her will, not that it matters since it's "lost". Anything I bought and left at her house is rightfully mine - pictures of me and her are rightfully mine, pictures of my USA family is rightfully mine, my clothing that was left there is rightfully mine...

What is a probate?

Edit: My brother an I have different fathers, which is why I said "my family from USA"
Edit #2: Jewelery was left there that my mother bought for me but I let her use it so she has something to remember me with, I have a computer I couldn't bring with me since it was too big, movies I bought, DVD's, Books, all things that I bought with my money.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
In Puerto Rico, he's considered a minor until he's 21, which in this case - he's still a minor by Puerto Rican eyes. We're both beneficiaries of her retirement, her will is now magically "lost" but I was only one listed in her will, not that it matters since it's "lost". Anything I bought and left at her house is rightfully mine - pictures of me and her are rightfully mine, pictures of my USA family is rightfully mine, my clothing that was left there is rightfully mine...

What is a probate?
Actually no. What you can PROVE you left there is rightfully yours provided you didn't gift them to her. Probate is what is opened in order to make sure an estate is properly disposed of. You would have to open it in PR and the PR court would then decide what, if anything, you are entitled to.

Ziladien

Actually no. What you can PROVE you left there is rightfully yours provided you didn't gift them to her. Probate is what is opened in order to make sure an estate is properly disposed of. You would have to open it in PR and the PR court would then decide what, if anything, you are entitled to.
The computer I have the BestBuy receipts for online, other than that I'm sure my brother cannot wear a size 20 skinny, or v-neck tank top, or a red riding hood costume and my mother had COMPLETELY different taste in clothing (and size) so they are not hers either.

Edit: Is there a limit as to when you can open a probate? I'd be trying to go to PR after I give birth to my son.

LdiJ

The computer I have the BestBuy receipts for online, other than that I'm sure my brother cannot wear a size 20 skinny, or v-neck tank top, or a red riding hood costume and my mother had COMPLETELY different taste in clothing (and size) so they are not hers either.

Edit: Is there a limit as to when you can open a probate? I'd be trying to go to PR after I give birth to my son.
If he bought himself a new house, a new car and his girl a new ring, whatever money there was may already be spent. You need to be checking on her retirement yourself.

Ziladien

If he bought himself a new house, a new car and his girl a new ring, whatever money there was may already be spent. You need to be checking on her retirement yourself.
They never gave me any information and are intentionally withholding all this themselves, though I'll take it upon myself to call and see what I can find out. Thank god for google!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You don't have kids, do you? "Skinnies" are a type of jeans. And no, you do not have to be to wear them.
I believe it is British sizing that ac tually has women's clothes similar to men's -- 20 could be the waist size -- as in 20 inches.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I believe it is British sizing that ac tually has women's clothes similar to men's -- 20 could be the waist size -- as in 20 inches.
Nope. British sizing is similar to American sizing, but the British sizing is about 4 numbers different than American. So, in America if you wear a size 12 in the UK it would be a 16.
http://www.fashion-411.com/Size_Conversions.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">