• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My mom is trying to take my baby

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

darianmarie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

im 15 years old and pregnant my mom wont let the father of the baby come around my mom is also trying to give my baby up and take all rights away from the father she keeps me in a room all by myself she wont let talk to the father and he is willing to pay for everything

i need to know if i can get emancipated before the baby is born that way we can support each other as a family and if i can how do i get emancipated can my mom take away my baby can she keep the father away

Antigone*

im 15 years old and pregnant my mom wont let the father of the baby come around my mom is also trying to give my baby up and take all rights away from the father she keeps me in a room all by myself she wont let talk to the father and he is willing to pay for everything

i need to know if i can get emancipated before the baby is born that way we can support each other as a family and if i can how do i get emancipated can my mom take away my baby can she keep the father away
You are 15. She has every right to keep you away from the guy who claims to be the father.

Your baby doesn't legally have a father until after it is born and paternity has been legally established.

Proserpina

Your mother can't do anything with your child (upcoming child). She can, however, keep you from seeing the guy who impregnated you. In order for you to become emancipated you would have to prove that you are able to support yourself COMPLETELY without aid or assistance from anybody.

Can you do that?

How old is Dad, incidentally?

Hisbabygirl77

Your mom can not force to you give your baby up. Now lets think like an adult ok? Your 15 and pregnant. You wont be able to get a good job you havent finished high school and being a parent is hard. Its not a walk in the park. That cute lil baby your picturing has so many needs you cant even imagine. The most loving thing and mature thing you might do would be to give the child to two parents who are adults and give your child everything you cannot. Babies cant live on love alone and someone else can supply that as well as everything else.

Gracie3787

First, at age 15 there isn't a single state that you'd be able to be emancipated in.

Yes, your mother has the legal right to keep the father away from you. Actually, she even has the right to keep him away from the baby once born, until a court orders visitation.

What your mother cannot legally do is to force you to place the baby for adoption, nor can she legally prevent you from filing in court to establish paternity, custody, visitation and CS. Which you should do as soon as the baby is born.

LdiJ

Your mom can not force to you give your baby up. Now lets think like an adult ok? Your 15 and pregnant. You wont be able to get a good job you havent finished high school and being a parent is hard. Its not a walk in the park. That cute lil baby your picturing has so many needs you cant even imagine. The most loving thing and mature thing you might do would be to give the child to two parents who are adults and give your child everything you cannot. Babies cant live on love alone and someone else can supply that as well as everything else.
Lets keep in mind however that its not 15 year old mom's decision on her own about giving up the baby for adoption. The father of said child also has to agree.

If dad doesn't agree, or his family convinces him not to agree, then 15 year old mom could lose custody to dad, and 15 year old mom could be on the hook for child support.

Hisbabygirl77

Lets keep in mind however that its not 15 year old mom's decision on her own about giving up the baby for adoption. The father of said child also has to agree.

If dad doesn't agree, or his family convinces him not to agree, then 15 year old mom could lose custody to dad, and 15 year old mom could be on the hook for child support.
Very true, Hopefully the fathers parents will give him the same chat as well.

LdiJ

Very true, Hopefully the fathers parents will give him the same chat as well.
Believe it or not, its far less likely. Its far more likely that the paternal grandmother (or stepgrandmother) will want to play mommy again with the grandchild.

JKBee

At 15, are you really willing to commit to a baby full time. No time out for new mothers. Babies aren't intentionally selfish, but they begin to seem that way after a month or two of crying to be fed, changed, loved....

No dancing at proms for mommy, no going out to movies without baby deciding to cry in the middle for whatever reason, no life of your own ever again. And no more "romantic" evenings in the foreseeable future for years to come.

Parenthood is something that needs alot of commitment. Is there any way to get counseling to prepare you for the baby's needs before this child is born? You will find parenthood not to be one of just hugs, kisses, and loving feelings. Baby diapers, washing baby clothes (plus your own after getting spit up on, peed on, etc.), and in general being a 24/7 responsible person are more demanding than I think you are considering.

Adoption doesn't sound like anything you are considering, but for your sake as well as your child's, try some counseling before this baby is born. You might decide you would rather mature a little more before taking on a baby to raise.

And no, your mother cannot make you give the baby up for adoption unless both you and the father are willing to sign away your parental rights. But what is best for this baby's future?

happybug

I think I am reading this a bit differently than most of you. I am not seeing that the maternal grandmother wants OP to give the baby up for adoption. I am reading that the maternal grandmother wants to take the baby from OP.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">