• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Mother's Stuff (Long)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Cheery Cherry

What is the name of your state? New York

Hello, my mother passed away about three and 1/2 years ago unexpectedly, so there was no will. I thought that my step-father (we were very close) would let me go through her stuff after we mourned and was doing better...no hurry.
Until he re-married last year and I lent him some money. We got into a huge arguement...it's a long story...
Anyway, we haven't spoken since, and I have asked him for some of my mother's stuff, because I only have one photo of her and I know that she wrote me a letter before she passed away, and I haven't seen it. There are many things that mean a lot to me, things that were shared between mom and I BEFORE step-dad even came into my life. I wrote him a letter two weeks ago asking for mom's stuff, and I'd hate to do this to him, but looks like I am going to have to take him to court. I have also been looking for my brother that my biological parents had, and I feel that my step-dad has some information (in mom's stuff) that could help me find my brother.

My question is, when a person dies without a will, does the husband have the primary right to all of her stuff, or does the daughter have any rights to them? Especially that I am her daughter, and I was with her a lot longer than he? I mean, what can I do? It's extremely important to me, and my mother's stuff is just stored away anyway...

Please help!
Sorry it's so long...

~* Cherry *~

karma1

Oh boy....

while I fully understand what you are asking, ie, it's your mothers personal things, you want them to remember her by....legally, I doubt you can do anything.
Keep trying to talk to your stepdad but if he continues to be uncooperative, just remember, no one can take away the memories you have of your mother.....
best wishes..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">