• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My only brother is deceased.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tarpondebi

North Carolina.OK, this is my problem. My brother and I are in our 50's. We have been estranged from our mother for years. I personally have not spoken to her in more than 20 years. My brother has recently passed away. Am I considered legal next of kin or is she legal next of kin? Please help! I am on the verge of a major Freak Out thinking I have to contact her. Any and all help with my problem is greatly appreciated

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
North Carolina.OK, this is my problem. My brother and I are in our 50's. We have been estranged from our mother for years. I personally have not spoken to her in more than 20 years. My brother has recently passed away. Am I considered legal next of kin or is she legal next of kin? Please help! I am on the verge of a major Freak Out thinking I have to contact her. Any and all help with my problem is greatly appreciated
Did your brother have a spouse and/or any children?

Why can't you let your mother know of the passing of one of her children?

tarpondebi

My only brother is deceased

He was divorced for some years now. I do not want to talk to our mother. Not sure if I can. Not sure if she would even talk to me. Would not leave this in a message. Plus my eldest son has told me he doesn't think she would even care. I am not a heartless person,but my brother probably would not care if she knows or not. I cannot afford a lawyer, but I want things done legally so it doesn't come back on me and get me in trouble.He did not have any children that I know of.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
He was divorced for some years now. I do not want to talk to our mother. Not sure if I can. Not sure if she would even talk to me. Would not leave this in a message. Plus my eldest son has told me he doesn't think she would even care. I am not a heartless person,but my brother probably would not care if she knows or not. I cannot afford a lawyer, but I want things done legally so it doesn't come back on me and get me in trouble.
Did he have any children?

tarpondebi

My only brother is deceased

Thanks Stealth. It may not be what I want to hear, but it iswhat I needed to hear. Thanks for the reality check.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">