• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My rights to find out paternity

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AdamsLee

Hi, i live in Michigan and i have a situation i could use some advise on. I had an ex girlfriend text me 3 weeks ago claiming I was the father of her 13 year old daughter. She claims that she doesn't want child support or anything. So she asked me to submit my DNA which I had no problem doing, I believe her to be honest with her desire to find the truth and not just pin the child on me. So I bought one of those at home paternity tests, swabbed myself and sent it to her to swab the child an then sent it on in to the lab.... No she is making every excuse in the book a far as not sending the samples to the lab. So what I want to know Is do I have any legal standing as far as making her submit the child's DNA so I can get answers? Should I retain a lawyer?

Proserpina

Hi, i live in Michigan and i have a situation i could use some advise on. I had an ex girlfriend text me 3 weeks ago claiming I was the father of her 13 year old daughter. She claims that she doesn't want child support or anything. So she asked me to submit my DNA which I had no problem doing, I believe her to be honest with her desire to find the truth and not just pin the child on me. So I bought one of those at home paternity tests, swabbed myself and sent it to her to swab the child an then sent it on in to the lab.... No she is making every excuse in the book a far as not sending the samples to the lab. So what I want to know Is do I have any legal standing as far as making her submit the child's DNA so I can get answers? Should I retain a lawyer?

The easiest way would be to actually go to court to request a DNA paternity test (in order to establish paternity - or not, as the case may be).

That way it's all official.

This also assumes there there isn't already someone else listed as the legal father.

CSO286

Is she on any type of public assistance?

Better start putting aside money in case the child is your and Mom files for support......C.Y.A.

In order to compel testing you are going to need to file an action to establish paternity and it would be a good thing to do the support and custody/parenting time as well. Best for all the parties and the child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">