• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my rights to my nephews do i have any? i live in florida and they live in ohio.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

ginagirl200232

What is the name of your state? i live in florida, but my two nephews live in ohio.my sister and her husband divorced, the husband got custody of the children. before their devorce the older of their two kids used to come and spend the summers with myself and my family, i have three kids. my sister is not allowed any contact with her children because she did not show up in court for the divorce so he got everything he asked for.he was letting me call the children and send gifts to them. i am very attached and concerned about my nephews.my sister was living in a different state and now she has moved to florida near me so that i can help her to get her act together in hopes that she can one day regain visitation rights to her children. i called the children one day to check on them as i always have and the ex husband asked me if my sister was here in florida and i said yes, he then informed me that i could not speak to the children anymore. do i have any rights to my nephews or can he crush my heart into and get by with it?both parents have fought with drug addiction and the reason my sister left him and moved to another state was due to abuse towards her.she took the children with her when she left, but he came back on her and got custody and a restraining order on my sister. his mother has more money than ours and hired him a good lawyer and we couldnt afford one. please help

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You are very likely out of luck. As an aunt - you have no legal right to visitation or anything else. My best suggestion is to help your sister get her butt in gear and on track so she can petition the court for visitation rights. It sounds to me as though there is more to her losing them than simply not showing up in court. She should be prepared to have a period of supervised visits before she can be with them alone, and then some period of time before she can have them overnight - let alone bring them to FL with her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">