• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My sister uses her childs SSN for utilities

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

worrieduncle22

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?I was at my sister and brother in laws house and saw a utility bill with their son's name on it. I wasnt too shocked about it at first since they have been evicted out of at least 2 houses and probably left both with unpaid bills.They are great parents and the child is well provided for but they have struggled with drug abuse for several years and have admitted to it then been clean for about a year. I noticed the amount was very high and past due I know that the roommate is getting billed now from talking with my sister but I am worried that soon bill collectors will be finding out. My question is about the childs credit score in the future if the situation isnt resolved. I am only 22 years so I dont really know or who to ask. The child is 14 now so does it really matter. Please give me some advice.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?I was at my sister and brother in laws house and saw a utility bill with their son's name on it. I wasnt too shocked about it at first since they have been evicted out of at least 2 houses and probably left both with unpaid bills.They are great parents and the child is well provided for but they have struggled with drug abuse for several years and have admitted to it then been clean for about a year. I noticed the amount was very high and past due I know that the roommate is getting billed now from talking with my sister but I am worried that soon bill collectors will be finding out. My question is about the childs credit score in the future if the situation isnt resolved. I am only 22 years so I dont really know or who to ask. The child is 14 now so does it really matter. Please give me some advice.
I suggest you MYOB.

Proserpina

Nah, MYOB is a better path in this case.
Tentatively thirded....though the child's possible future identity/credit issues are troublesome.

However it also begs the question, do you know for certain it's the child's SS# that's being used? Before I moved west our local utility companies didn't need a customer SS# to establish new service - you could choose to give it to 'em, but it wasn't a requirement.

If the child is a teenager I believe he can request a copy of his own credit history using the same "Free Three" companies.

LdiJ

I really waffle on whether or not this is a MYOB situation. The child's future credit history is not being protected by the parents and its not unreasonable for an extended family member to feel the need to step in, for the child's sake.

However, I can also understand how the need to have utilities may cause a desparate parent to take steps that would otherwise not be appropriate.

Proserpina

If it's a child, it must be requested through the mail... by the parents.
My bad, CC - I was under the impression that a parental request was only necessary if kiddo was 13 or under. :confused:

(I think I got that from either the Annual Credit Report site or that annoying-but-ubiquitous commercial company....you know, the one with pirates and Ren Faires)

FarmerJ

I know of a young woman (m) whose mom did the same thing when M was growing up. IF at some point in the future the NOW child goes to apply for services , of course they will learn about what the parent did, When the Child applys for services they will end up having to produce a birth certificate and proof of social and they pretty much will be telling the utility with proof that they were not of a legal age to contract for these services. THe utilities are not stupid IF they do not catch it before the now minor turns 18 they will easily figure out that it likely was the childs parents and go after the parent . SO it never really goes awayfor the parent BUT it cannot now and nor will it later prevent this now minor from getting sevices , yes it was a extra hassle for M since she had to prove she was not of age to legally enter contracts. Yes her mom should not have done this. BUT it did not prevent her from establishing services and her own good payment history prevented any other problems. As electronic data bases grow and grow my bet is that the utilitys will catch it. IF you do not MYOB on this then think before you act , as to how the sudden lack of utilitys may hurt the child more! AND yes this is a form of identity theft too, probably one of the oldest forms of it.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I really waffle on whether or not this is a MYOB situation. The child's future credit history is not being protected by the parents and its not unreasonable for an extended family member to feel the need to step in, for the child's sake.

However, I can also understand how the need to have utilities may cause a desparate parent to take steps that would otherwise not be appropriate.
This is identity theft. Plain and simple. The parents do NOT have a right to use their child's name for anything dealing with utilities or bills. Appropriate? This is ILLEGAL. It is a CRIME.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
So we are excusing the parents for committing identity theft because the child has utilities? If the parents were doing their jobs and paying their bills then they would not resort to stealing the identity of their children. In foster care or kinship placement, the children would have utilities. There are consequences to illegal activity. Uncle should report the parents to the utility companies and the police, the children go into foster care and mom and dad are forced to grow up and learn how to parent and provide without resorting to criminal activity.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">