• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My stepchildren need out of the court system

• Thread starter desperate for legal info
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

desperate for legal info

I am asking this from Indiana.
My husband and I are concerned about his 2 children. Right now they are in CHINS because of educational neglect and other various charges against the mother (the custodial parent) She does not have the children right now because of the CHINS petition. The grandmother and stepgrandfather have them as the relative placement. We live in another county about 35 miles away and work in the county that is the same as where the children are living now and going to school. The court system wanted to keep them in that same county and with the grandmother temporarily. We are going through quite a mess with all the red tape that the court wants us to do as well. One thing is that my husband takes these counseling courses just to learn the court system and what is going on. We pretty much already know how the court works from dealing with the paperwork. The neglect issue started back in March 2000 and keeps being dragged out. We have talked about having the kids live with us and expressed this to them. The case worker and the counselors, shrinks etc. have drilled and prodded my stepkids to where they don't want to see anyone else dealing with the courts. I can't blame them. I think they are taking it easier then myself. I just want to see them in a stable environment and out of the courts wards.
My husband and I have the kids every other weekend and he pays support to the grandmother now. The bio. mother is going through counseling sessions and shrink evals. also. She is a frequent drinker and cusser. I would really like to see them live with us. Can you tell me how to express this to the court and how to get them out of CHINS? Thank You!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">