• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name Change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

landjffb

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

Hello, FYI-I'm using fictional names.

My birth certificate name is Elizabeth Dublin. (Dublin is my maiden name)
Around toddler age, my sister started calling me "Lisa." This name stayed throughout my adult life. My drivers license and social security card showed my name as "Lisa Dublin" until I got married.

I married and my name changed to Lisa Paris as far as drivers license, social security, and other accounts such as home, 401k, etc. I know this will be a nightmare waiting to happen for my beneficiaries; when that time comes. Is there a need to worry? Should I change my birth certificate to include the name "Lisa."

Also, I want to change back to my maiden name. My child is an adult but not yet married. I thought about using Elizabeth Lisa Dublin Paris depending on what I should do with the Elizabeth/Lisa situation. But I would like to add my maiden name back but hang on to the other name (Paris-marriage name). Sounds like a lot of names but I want no legal problems later down the road AND I want my maiden name back without dropping my former married name. Once my child marries I might drop it.

Does this make sense to you?

Thank you in advance!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Your legal name quite frankly is what is on your social security card. HOWEVER, how did you get a social security card that is different from your birth certificate?

LdiJ

If you change your name, you can also get your birth certificate changed. I agree with Ohiogal that your legal name is the name on your social security card, but I also agree that it may cause some eventual grief that your BC doesn't match, not just for your heirs, but possibly for you when its time to retire.

Changing your first name, and leaving your last name alone, will cause far fewer complications for you. Its a real PAIN to change your name with DL, credit cards, utilities etc. If you own any real estate your name would have to be changed on the deeds as well.

Right now probably everything is in "Lisa", so if you leave your last name alone you would only need to change your BC.

landjffb

Clarification

Thank you for your replies.

First of all, I don't know how I was able to get my SS card with a name different than my BC. It was a while back and the laws were different. I was 14 when I got my SS card. I used my SS to get my DL card. (I assume; it's been a while).

I want to clarify your suggestions/advice.

For possible future grief, I should change the BC to the name on my SS card. A little sad to lose the name I was born with but that's the way it goes.

As far as returning to my maiden name--it sounds like both of you don't recommend doing so due to the hassle with changing everything from SS, DL to credit cards, home, etc. So, could I simply start using it anyway by adding it as a "middle name" or hyphenated? For example: Lisa Paris-Dublin?

Or, are you both saying it's just too much hassle to return to maiden names?

Thanks again!

LdiJ

Thank you for your replies.

First of all, I don't know how I was able to get my SS card with a name different than my BC. It was a while back and the laws were different. I was 14 when I got my SS card. I used my SS to get my DL card. (I assume; it's been a while).

I want to clarify your suggestions/advice.

For possible future grief, I should change the BC to the name on my SS card. A little sad to lose the name I was born with but that's the way it goes.

As far as returning to my maiden name--it sounds like both of you don't recommend doing so due to the hassle with changing everything from SS, DL to credit cards, home, etc. So, could I simply start using it anyway by adding it as a "middle name" or hyphenated? For example: Lisa Paris-Dublin?

Or, are you both saying it's just too much hassle to return to maiden names?

Thanks again!
If you are old enough to have an adult child, then yes, its probably too much hassle. Its one thing to do it when you are fairly young and haven't amassed much of a history out in the world, but once you are older, and literally put together everything that you would have to change, you will probably find that its more of a complication than its worth.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">