• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name Change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

geoffois

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I think name changing falls under family law so I apologize if I'm in the wrong forum. Once the court/judge grants the name change how long does one have to take care of changing all the legal documents like green card, passport, driver's license etc.? Can one get the approval for name change then take care of everything a year later? Thank you

Last edited:

FlyingRon

There's generally no time limit. Make sure you get a bunch of true copies (these will normally have a court seal impressed on them) of your order (contact the clerk as to the procedure/cost to do this). You'll find that some people will be happy with an ordinary photocopies, but others will want to retain an official copy. Theoretically, you can go back and get such copies later, but it's easier to grab ten at the courthouse when you're doing your name change and the file is right there than figuring out how to retrieve it from the historical records later. I'd do whatever you intend to use for travel documents (driver's license, passports, etc..) right away. It's not that you can't do them later, but if you have discrepancies between your travel documents and things like your tickets, etc... it will cause you grief with the TSA (I had a friend with a similar situation on a name change).

geoffois

There's generally no time limit. Make sure you get a bunch of true copies (these will normally have a court seal impressed on them) of your order (contact the clerk as to the procedure/cost to do this). You'll find that some people will be happy with an ordinary photocopies, but others will want to retain an official copy. Theoretically, you can go back and get such copies later, but it's easier to grab ten at the courthouse when you're doing your name change and the file is right there than figuring out how to retrieve it from the historical records later. I'd do whatever you intend to use for travel documents (driver's license, passports, etc..) right away. It's not that you can't do them later, but if you have discrepancies between your travel documents and things like your tickets, etc... it will cause you grief with the TSA (I had a friend with a similar situation on a name change).
Thanks Ron,
My friend from China is going to change her name and I told her don't do it before going out of the country since she's not going to change any legal docs or IDs till she gets back. But it sounds like if she does it and let's say gets 10 copies and puts them in her drawer, she should be safe to travel as long as she doesn't change anything at all. Theoretically she won't have changed her name until she takes her 10 copies and starts submitting them to the various agencies to change her name. Does that sound right? The court approval won't make it's way to a computer so when she comes back to the USA and they scan her passport a different name will pop up? Thanks Ron

Ladyback1

Thanks Ron,
My friend from China is going to change her name and I told her don't do it before going out of the country since she's not going to change any legal docs or IDs till she gets back. But it sounds like if she does it and let's say gets 10 copies and puts them in her drawer, she should be safe to travel as long as she doesn't change anything at all. Theoretically she won't have changed her name until she takes her 10 copies and starts submitting them to the various agencies to change her name. Does that sound right? The court approval won't make it's way to a computer so when she comes back to the USA and they scan her passport a different name will pop up? Thanks Ron
My children's step-dad, adopted my children, earlier this year. Before that stepdad and I got married (in January).
The children wanted to change their last name to his...

While it is "official" when the court signs off on a name change, that court/judge does not report the name change to any entity. A person has to change their name on all their identifying documentation (driver license, professional license, passport, social security, etc.) before the name is actually changed on anything.

I have yet to get to the Social Security office to change the kids' names on their SS card. And it's been 2 mo. since the adoption was finalized!
Hope that helps

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">