• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name change advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lynne_mn

I live in MN. I have always spelled my first name Lynne. I recently discovered that it's spelled Lynn on my birth certificate and school transcripts. It's spelled Lynne on all my adult legal documents, including social security. Will it cause problems getting a passport or at retirement if they don't match? Would it be better to amend my birth certificate or legally change it to Lynne? One of the pieces of supporting documentation needed for a birth certificate amendment is the school transcript. Since that matches my birth certificate, will I be turned down? Conversely, since all my adult legal documents say 'Lynne,' will I be successful with a legal name change?

racer72

The slight difference in spelling likely will not make a difference in getting a passport. My middle name is spelled differently on my birth certificate (name is spelled with one T, it should have had 2). I served in the military, obtained a passport and other things and it has made no difference.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Ditto that. One of my names is spelled three different ways. And it has never casue me a peoblem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">