• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name Change After Divorce, but not to maiden name.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thebestboysmom

I live in New Jersey. I was just divorced and in the document it stated I would change my name to my professional name that I've been using (not legally) for the past 10 years. This new name is not my maiden name. It's actually my Grandmother's maiden name that I adopted when I didn't want to work under the same name as my husband, (back when we were still married and worked together). Legally, it was always my married name, but now that I'm divorced, I want to take my Grandmother's maiden name (since many people know me by that name already) and make it my official legal name. Since I have no legal document stating this name, (other than the divorce papers) how difficult will it be? My birth certificate, etc. have my maiden name listed, not this name I would like to adopt. Can I do this? Does anyone know?

Zephyr

as an adult you may change your name to anything you desire- you have heard of P.Diddy right, who was previously Puff Dady but is now only Diddy

or Prince who is now a symbol....

fairisfair

the intent of the name revision is to prevent you from using your ex husband's name, not to insist on what name you do use. You should have no problem going back to whatever name you choose.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">