• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name change and alias question- marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bluefire5264

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I just got married in Florida. I want to legally hyphenate my name, but I also want to keep my maiden name legally (as an alias?) so I don't have to change all of my retirement/ insurance/ banking/ etc. information. How would I go about doing this? Thank you!

xylene

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I just got married in Florida. I want to legally hyphenate my name, but I also want to keep my maiden name legally (as an alias?) so I don't have to change all of my retirement/ insurance/ banking/ etc. information. How would I go about doing this? Thank you!
You only get one legal name.

If you want to legally change you name to your hyphenated version, then you have legally changed it. - and have to charge the paperwork.

If you want to retain you maiden name and have no legal change of name you are free to do so, and not have the hassle of changing paperwork. You would be free to use your hyphenated name as an alias, but don't need to do anything with the courts to do that, indeed there is nothing to do.

You can't do what you propose.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">