• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name change in Florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

natasha1980

My legal name in the US according to my Naturalization Certificate, let’s say, is Jane Doe Smith. In addition to taking my husband’s last name, I would like to drop my middle name after I get married and become Ann Smith. So , I got the marriage certificate with my name as Ann Smith (without middle name). Will this be considered an official document and legally remove my middle name and allow me to legally change my name on all other records, or my legal name would still be Ann May Jones and I have to go through court to have my middle name legally dropped? Thank you!

Gracie3787

My legal name in the US according to my Naturalization Certificate, let’s say, is Jane Doe Smith. In addition to taking my husband’s last name, I would like to drop my middle name after I get married and become Ann Smith. So , I got the marriage certificate with my name as Ann Smith (without middle name). Will this be considered an official document and legally remove my middle name and allow me to legally change my name on all other records, or my legal name would still be Ann May Jones and I have to go through court to have my middle name legally dropped? Thank you!
You'll need to file a petition for a name change. You can find the forms and other info at:

Court Programs

natasha1980

Would the fact that my marriage license is without my middle name, make my marriage license not valid? Or it doesn't matter?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">