• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name Change/Guardianship/Disabled Child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tabbie

I live in Missouri and am the mother of a 17yr old girl that is mildly disabled.
I understand that I need to have guardianship of her after she turns 18 in April. However, she is wanting to change her last name to be the same as mine and her step-father. Her biological father in Georgia is out of the picture completely, and has been for a long time. He gave up his right to see her and have an active part in her life, for me to cancel his child support payments. What I do not understand is, can we do a name change and a guardianship at the same time, or, does one have to be done first and then the other, and if so which one should be first??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">