• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name change help x2

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

texastigress69

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

Ok be prepared, this is a long one... My oldest son was born in Washington state and I was an unmarried minor at the time. Due to this fact and the fact that my son's father was not there at the time, I was not allowed to give my son his father's last name, nor was I allowed to even put his father's name on the birth certificate. Fast forward 15 years, my son's father and I are still together and my son still has my maiden name. We would like to have this changed to his father's last name and have his father's name added to his birth certificate. We now reside in AZ and I don't know how or even if that will affect our process of changing his last name and adding his father's to the birth certificate.

Now for part two. My husband and I had another son in California in 1995. Instead of giving him my husband's legal last name we gave our son his dad's biological last name as his father was planning to have his own last name legally changed back to what it was at birth. Unfortunately after my son's birth certificate was filed, my husband found out some very unsavory facts about his bio dad and decided to keep his adopted last name. Now we are trying to go about having my son's last name changed and changing his father's name on his birth certificate. How do we do this? I know we waited an awfully long time to do something about it, but my children are only getting older and would like to have these things taken care of. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

Ok be prepared, this is a long one... My oldest son was born in Washington state and I was an unmarried minor at the time. Due to this fact and the fact that my son's father was not there at the time, I was not allowed to give my son his father's last name, nor was I allowed to even put his father's name on the birth certificate.
Exactly when did this happen and in which county?

texastigress69

It was....

It was in Pierce County in January of 1994. I tried to give him his father's last name and add his father to the birth certificate and that's when they handed me a form telling me that neither was allowed due to the circumstances.

Proserpina

Proserpina

Now for the other part.

Please tell me if I have this right so far:

You and hubby had son#2 and gave him hubby's father's last name.

Turns out hubby's dad not such a good thing, so you and your husband wish to change your son's name to your hubby's adopted last name?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

texastigress69

You've got it.

Now for the other part.

Please tell me if I have this right so far:

You and hubby had son#2 and gave him hubby's father's last name.

Turns out hubby's dad not such a good thing, so you and your husband wish to change your son's name to your hubby's adopted last name?
Yes this is all correct.

texastigress69

Thanks

Thanks guys, I had found the info about how to change the last names after I posted this, but was hoping for a more simple way to do name change/add father all at once.:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">