• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name change for minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justwondering71

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

Let me first start with a little back ground about this situation. I was married for 6 years and I had a son. I then went through a divorce. 3 years laters I dated a man for a short period and became pregnant. I told him I was pregnant and he wanted to pay for me to have an abortion however I am able to support myself and my children so therefore I chose to have the baby. I have not spoke to him since I was 4 months pregnant, he was aware I had her and even told people at work that she was his daughter, even so he has never contacted her or supported her in anyway. My cell phone # has never changed and I live at the same place I did when I was pregnant.
I named her my son's and my last name at the time I had her which was my ex husbands name. I remarried when she was 3. She is now 9 and I am in the process of getting divorced yet again (yes I think I have finally learned my lesson). For the last couple of years she has wanted her last name to be that of my maiden name and now that I am getting divorced I am changing my name back to my maiden name and I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to change her name to my maiden name also. I have never received child support or government assistance for her, the father is not on the birth certificate and paternity has never been established. I have been told I HAVE to get permission to change her name from the biological father. I have no intention of lying to my daughter. She will know who her biological father is when she starts asking. I did not choose to go after him for child support because I did not want the possibility of my child going somewhere she was not wanted unless he pursued it and I also do not want to poke the bee hive by having to ask for permission to change her name. When the time comes I want her to be old enough to make the choice to find him. So my question is is there anyway around getting consent or posting in a paper?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Let me first start with a little back ground about this situation. I was married for 6 years and I had a son. I then went through a divorce. 3 years laters I dated a man for a short period and became pregnant. I told him I was pregnant and he wanted to pay for me to have an abortion however I am able to support myself and my children so therefore I chose to have the baby. I have not spoke to him since I was 4 months pregnant, he was aware I had her and even told people at work that she was his daughter, even so he has never contacted her or supported her in anyway. My cell phone # has never changed and I live at the same place I did when I was pregnant.
I named her my son's and my last name at the time I had her which was my ex husbands name. I remarried when she was 3. She is now 9 and I am in the process of getting divorced yet again (yes I think I have finally learned my lesson). For the last couple of years she has wanted her last name to be that of my maiden name and now that I am getting divorced I am changing my name back to my maiden name and I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to change her name to my maiden name also. I have never received child support or government assistance for her, the father is not on the birth certificate and paternity has never been established. I have been told I HAVE to get permission to change her name from the biological father. I have no intention of lying to my daughter. She will know who her biological father is when she starts asking. I did not choose to go after him for child support because I did not want the possibility of my child going somewhere she was not wanted unless he pursued it and I also do not want to poke the bee hive by having to ask for permission to change her name. When the time comes I want her to be old enough to make the choice to find him. So my question is is there anyway around getting consent or posting in a paper?
There is NO way to get around service either in person or by posting/publication.

LdiJ

There is NO way to get around service either in person or by posting/publication.
There is no father on the birth certificate. Are you saying that if the father were unknown a John Doe service by publication would be needed?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
There is no father on the birth certificate. Are you saying that if the father were unknown a John Doe service by publication would be needed?
Yes. That is exactly what I am saying. Also it is normally a requirement to publish in the paper requests for name changes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">