• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name Change of a Minor in Arkansas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anitsirk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas

I already have an open case for a last name change for my daughter. Her biological father has received the summons and petition for her name change and has told me (in an email) that he is not going to "fight" it, but will not do anything to help the process along (ie: sign the paperwork). He did not file a response to the summons and the 30 days since he received it have passed. I've set a hearing date, but cannot find a form to show a notice of hearing to her father. I want to do this right as I am about 99% sure that he is not going to show up for the court date. I've contacted our county clerk and trial court assistant and neither knows what I should do to notify him. Aside from contacting a lawyer, does anyone know how to properly notify her biological father of the court date? I've found several forms online for other states on how to do this, but none for my specific state. This leads me to believe that I could just draft my own "form" based on the others I've found... Does anyone have any experience with this? Thank you!

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas

I already have an open case for a last name change for my daughter. Her biological father has received the summons and petition for her name change and has told me (in an email) that he is not going to "fight" it, but will not do anything to help the process along (ie: sign the paperwork). He did not file a response to the summons and the 30 days since he received it have passed. I've set a hearing date, but cannot find a form to show a notice of hearing to her father. I want to do this right as I am about 99% sure that he is not going to show up for the court date. I've contacted our county clerk and trial court assistant and neither knows what I should do to notify him. Aside from contacting a lawyer, does anyone know how to properly notify her biological father of the court date? I've found several forms online for other states on how to do this, but none for my specific state. This leads me to believe that I could just draft my own "form" based on the others I've found... Does anyone have any experience with this? Thank you!
Well, biological mother, you could read the rules of civil procedure. :cool:

Dave1952

You sent him a summons which he clearly did receive. Did that summons mention the court date? If not then you may certainly mail him a letter with the court date and whatever other information seems appropriate. Perhaps the court's law librarian can point you towards the court's rules and procedures

anitsirk

The summons did not state the court date. The forms that I drafted myself based on what other states had posted online worked (her name change order was signed by the judge at our hearing). I just wanted to update this for future reference. Thanks!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The summons did not state the court date. The forms that I drafted myself based on what other states had posted online worked (her name change order was signed by the judge at our hearing). I just wanted to update this for future reference. Thanks!
They worked because he didn't care. Had he put even an ounce of effort in to fighting this, then things would almost definitely have gone differently. This is NOT a good thing to use for "future reference" because your case only succeeded due to his apathy.

Silverplum

They worked because he didn't care. Had he put even an ounce of effort in to fighting this, then things would almost definitely have gone differently. This is NOT a good thing to use for "future reference" because your case only succeeded due to his apathy.
She's lucky her poor job of the legal work succeeded: as you stated, entirely due to his apathy.

Oh, well. Done.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">