• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name change petition was for middle & last name. Only want it for last name now.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sjs1000

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I filled a petition for name change of a minor for my daughter to change her middle and last name. The case never went to a judge because I never served the father. The case is still open but I now only want to change her last.

Is there a way I can change this current case to only change her last name or do I need to close it and start a new case? If the earlier, how do I change the current petition to make it only for her last name. If the later, how do I close this case?

Do I need a lawyer for this or is it possible to do it myself?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I filled a petition for name change of a minor for my daughter to change her middle and last name. The case never went to a judge because I never served the father. The case is still open but I now only want to change her last.

Is there a way I can change this current case to only change her last name or do I need to close it and start a new case? If the earlier, how do I change the current petition to make it only for her last name. If the later, how do I close this case?

Do I need a lawyer for this or is it possible to do it myself?
How old is the child? What is the involvement of the father? Is he paying support? Is there a CS order and is he current? What reason are you giving the courts for the change in name? If the new name the same as your current husbands?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
File an amended petition and serve dad. Be aware that you may not get court permission to change the child's name based on the answers to the questions that Bay asked.

sjs1000

How old is the child? What is the involvement of the father? Is he paying support? Is there a CS order and is he current? What reason are you giving the courts for the change in name? If the new name the same as your current husbands?
The child is three years old. Father was incarcerated 12/06 (child was a year old) his release date is 11/2016. Reason for change of name is that the father is not involved and the child should therefore have the last name of the mother.

My daughter currently has her father's last name and I want to add my last name.

How do I file an amended petition?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The child is three years old. Father was incarcerated 12/06 (child was a year old) his release date is 11/2016. Reason for change of name is that the father is not involved and the child should therefore have the last name of the mother.

My daughter currently has her father's last name and I want to add my last name.

How do I file an amended petition?
The same way you filed the first petition but you caption it as the AMENDED petition.

sjs1000

Okay thank you so much! I had called the court and they kept telling me that I needed to get a lawyer because they couldn't give me any advice.

I was planning on trying to close the case and starting a new one but amending would save me 100$.

I have all the papers filled out and I plan to get consent of the father this time before turning in the papers. I assume I will have to do publication again since the name change is different from the name change I had published in the newspaper before.

Do I turn in the forms as I did the first time..
-petition for change of name
-notice for publication
-order for change of name
-attachments: consent to change of name, Copy of Birth certificate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">