• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name Change Questions - Please help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jamesbrown926

Here is my story…I live in New York City, NY -- my mother put my biological fathers last name on my birth certificate and did not give me a middle name. However, throughout my life she used my biological fathers last name as my middle name and gave me her married last name. I have used her last name as my last name my entire life. My drivers license has both names on it as a hyphenated last name, no middle name. I have since gotten married and was told by SS that I would need to legally change my name (they don’t care how) so that my documents are consistent. I would like to move forward with the hyphenated version of my name going forward. Once I do that, I will then change to my new married name.

How do I go about this? Will it take a lot of time?

Its pretty confusing but I want to move on with my new life and new name.

Thanks in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">