• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name Change Seal...allowed for transgender, but not regular person

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

blumonday

Name Change Seal...allowed for transgender only?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

Hello. I'm a male who legally changed my name about a year ago. I had grown up with a very "nerdy" name, and my entire life was never happy with it. I had a strong dislike for my given name (and nicknames) since I was 5 years old. Couldn't use my middle name...I disliked it even more. I was named this particular name because of family tradition, although it only caused insecurity my entire life. Some may argue this builds character, but I personally was never happy with it.

Anyways, in the state I live in, absolutely everything is viewable public record online. If someone gets divorced, you can see who their lawyer was, how much each party was entitled to. If someone is taken to small-claims court for an unpaid bill, you can see how much they are ordered to pay back by month, which allows you to have an idea how much this particular individual earns.

So, with a name change, you can see the old and new name, and unlike everything else, it does not say "State vs. _____", it says "Name Change: RE: _____"

Here, it is just a filing process, you don't actually meet with the judge. I had requested with the clerk that I do, but I was told the judge was not available.

A few days ago, I'm reading an article profiling 3 transgendered people in Iowa in a local university newspaper. It explained they had legally changed their names, and the article said what their previous names in their birth gender were. I decide to search this on the Iowa Courts Website.

When you search their old name, you can still see minor infractions...but you cannot see "Name Change: RE: _____". Meaning, for some reason they were allowed to seal their previous name, but want people to know their story regardless explaining the purpose of the article.

For me, it causes problems in the respect that people may think there is some bizarre reason (like I changed it to avoid my past, but an ex-convict cannot change their name in Iowa), may think it is a sexuality issue as well (my new name could be considered somewhat androgynous - although more commonly male).

I've applied for several jobs that I'm overqualified for, never to receive calls back. I'm not sure if this holds any bearing on it or not, but I also have a rare last name and when my last name is searched by itself...at the very top of the list (or top 5), it says "Name Change: RE _____". Then you click that, and it shows it.

This has been a very personal journey for me, and something I don't want to telegraph to the entire world. I have some extended family I don't get along with well, and I can see them using this if they found it as a means to embarrass me to everyone. It's something I'd like to keep private, and I will tell people accordingly when I'm ready.

I've spoken with a few local family law attorneys about it, and they've told me there's nothing I can do, besides move to a new state and try to forget about it. Basically, that Iowa doesn't allow anything removed, regardless of civil/criminal matters. Someone can be found "not guilty", and the details of their case will still show up, but it can never be removed.

I didn't know that there was some sort of provision that allowed transgendered people to have their name change sealed. You can't find anything on it, but 3 transgendered people I looked up from the article that claimed to legally change their names - and it did not show up on the Iowa Courts Website. There has to be a reason for that, and it is not pure chance.

I realize I could probably make this argument, but my concerns are.

A. The strange nature of the topic, a regular guy like myself, admitting to the court I've searched transgendered people online regarding name change in Iowa (how that reflects on me) and the sheer oddness of changing your name is something I'm trying to distance myself from by privatizing it
B. The slight chance local media might somehow find out about this, and write a story on it.

Does anyone here think I should pursue a name change seal, using this argument? I was unaware of this until recently. Possibly thought I could make a due process argument, it shouldn't not be allowed for one segment of society to seal it, but not another. Essentially, a form of reverse discrimination. A regular person cannot seal their name change, but a transgender can, yet this is still unaddressed and I cannot find any literature on it.

All replies/opinions appreciated.

Last edited:

ecmst12

1. I HIGHLY doubt your name change has a single thing to do with your lack of calls about jobs.

2. You have too much time on your hands. If you also have too much money, feel free to hire a lawyer to pursue this issue for you, but really dude, no one cares that you changed your name.

blumonday

1. I HIGHLY doubt your name change has a single thing to do with your lack of calls about jobs.

2. You have too much time on your hands. If you also have too much money, feel free to hire a lawyer to pursue this issue for you, but really dude, no one cares that you changed your name.
I don't live in a major city like Philadelphia. My family is very well-known in our community. Yes, people in smaller cities do look people up for fun on the online courts website, especially when everyone knows everyone.

I'd like to move to a bigger city soon, but first want to know if I can resolve this issue.

I'm only asking if the fact that a transgendered person can seal their name change holds any bearing on whether or not a non-transgendered person can. If I could make an argument based on that to the court. As strange as it sounds, a transgendered person changing their name makes more sense to most people, a non-transgendered person does it, and it's very misunderstood. I don't expect you to understand unless you've gone through the process yourself.

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

You should not be ashamed of who you are. It does not appear you have learned to accept the outcome of being yourself and project this onto others. Many gay and lesbian professionals have managed the journey successfully. If you truly believe the people around you to be so small minded, move to another area. Unless you are passable, a court documented name change won't stop them from their opinion. I work with a transgender. Depending on how you look at it, he makes a very ugly she or she makes a very ugly she. Regardless, they are a good employee and do their job.

ecmst12

OH, have you lost what was left of your mind? This is the SECOND post in the last hour that hasn't made any sense. Gay is not the same as transgender and OP is neither gay nor transgender, he just didn't like his name.

Again, if you have the money to pay a lawyer to try to get your record sealed, you are welcome to give it a shot. I don't think you'd get very far without one. And I really, really don't think anyone cares that you changed your name. Stop applying for jobs that you're overqualified for, start applying for jobs that you're PROPERLY qualified for, and you might start getting calls.

Also, if "everyone knows everyone" in your town, then they knew you before your name change, so it's not like sealing the record is going to change a darn thing.

xylene

I don't live in a major city like Philadelphia.
Philadelphia?

Seriously? Move.

Your seem like a tough person with a hard story.

Move to just about anyhwere.

Try NYC

Or Buffalo NY

Or Little Rock

Or LA

You can make the change you want to be!

OHRoadwarrior

OH, have you lost what was left of your mind? This is the SECOND post in the last hour that hasn't made any sense. Gay is not the same as transgender and OP is neither gay nor transgender, he just didn't like his name.

Again, if you have the money to pay a lawyer to try to get your record sealed, you are welcome to give it a shot. I don't think you'd get very far without one. And I really, really don't think anyone cares that you changed your name. Stop applying for jobs that you're overqualified for, start applying for jobs that you're PROPERLY qualified for, and you might start getting calls.

Also, if "everyone knows everyone" in your town, then they knew you before your name change, so it's not like sealing the record is going to change a darn thing.
I think it has been too long of a day and I should just keep my mouth shut tonight. I seem to be having a processing problem. Sorry again:confused::confused:

blumonday

I'd like to start my life under my new name in a different place.

I don't want this weighing on my family though. I live in a community where people are very fickle and do this sort of thing for fun. I haven't told anyone outside my immediate family and a few close friends. Anyways, it's not everyone else's business, I knew this going in, but it is something I had to do for myself. I do feel bad about potential shame it may cause my family by having it viewable to the public, and they feel bad I wasn't given a name I liked. Of course if I go back in time as a baby I would have ensured I got a name I liked.

It seems frivolous, but if you grew up in a smaller community it might make sense.

blumonday

Philadelphia?

Seriously? Move.

Your seem like a tough person with a hard story.

Move to just about anyhwere.

Try NYC

Or Buffalo NY

Or Little Rock

Or LA

You can make the change you want to be!
That's true. This is not about moving locations though, it's about whether or not allowing a transgender to seal their name change should hold any bearing on whether or not a non-transgender should be able to as well.

The only other way to avoid a name change record is Witness Protection. Most states don't show records to the extent Iowa does. Everything going back to 1987 I believe is public online record.

xylene

That's true. This is not about moving locations though, it's about whether or not allowing a transgender to seal their name change should hold any bearing on whether or not a non-transgender should be able to as well.

The only other way to avoid a name change record is Witness Protection. Most states don't show records to the extent Iowa does. Everything going back to 1987 I believe is public online record.
I think you have a tenuous grip on reality blumonday.

Sorry if that seems hard.

I've been closer to where you are then you'd EVER guess.

You want to fight the court rules on name changes....

If you are prepared to do THAT...

Then you are prepared to make it in any of the cities I mentioned (and just about anywhere) as is, right now.

Get out of your home town 'scene' guy, your "name" doesn't matter.

(Or you are crazy, living with mom and dad and just can't make it it... boo hoo. :rolleyes: )

Last edited:

ecmst12

You thought you were going to be able to change your name and have people in your town NOT know that you did it?

I changed my mind about calling a lawyer. You need a therapist.

blumonday

I think you have a tenuous grip on reality blumonday.

Sorry if that seems hard.

I've been closer to where you are then you'd EVER guess.

You want to fight the court rules on name changes....

If you are prepared to do THAT...

Then you are prepared to make it in any of the cities I mentioned (and just about anywhere) as is, right now.

Get out of your home town 'scene' guy, your "name" doesn't matter.

(Or you are crazy, living with mom and dad and just can't make it it... boo hoo. :rolleyes: )
I'm not trying to fight the court on any rules. I'm only asking if anything thinks this argument holds any water. A transgendered person can seal their name change, so the same rights should be extended to a non-transgender.

I was also hoping for actual replies by someone who may have some experience with this sort of thing (courts & name changes); not chiding rhetoric.

blumonday

You thought you were going to be able to change your name and have people in your town NOT know that you did it?

I changed my mind about calling a lawyer. You need a therapist.
I would prefer to tell people I know when the time is right, and when I can explain my reasons for it. Anyone who sees it only assumes nefarious, bizarre reasons for doing so. It's something that seems so minimal, yet it is not.

Again, I'm only asking about the feasibility of the argument regarding transgender name change, i.e. if that should be extended to all individuals.

Proserpina

Your argument holds no water.

You have no argument.

There is no argument.

Find an attorney, pay the money and get on with your life. Seriously.

Then again, I think you already know this.

ecmst12

No one is going to think you are nefarious or bizarre just because you don't like the name your parents gave you! Unless you changed your name to an unpronounceable symbol like Prince, or something similarly strange, nothing is going to care a single drop about your name change. People who have known you all your life may be reluctant to actually CALL you by your new name, just because old habits die hard, but I promise you, anyone who thinks it means there is something wrong with you is too crazy to concern yourself with the opinions of.

So again, therapy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">