• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tim.larimer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I recently tried to get a drivers license. Despite passing the test I was denied because the name on my Social Security card does not match all my other ID. Long story short – my mother, in an attempt to please all the relatives, named me Emmet on my birth certificate and Social Security account, but called me Tim. I have lived my life as Tim – I work under Tim, pay taxes under Tim, All my banking and credit accounts are under Tim. I even had the State Department declare Tim my official alias and now have a passport, (my only photo ID) under Tim. I was told by the Social Security Administration that my only choice was to pick one of the names and put everything under that name. I don’t want to change my name, (my mother is deceased and I wanted to honor her intentions in naming me), but looked into changing my name officially to Tim. After looking into the process I realized that my Birth Certificate and Social Security Card are not enough to prove that I am Emmet which I will need to do to change it to Tim. When I looked into changing my whole life to Emmet I discovered that to get a NY State photo ID card, (which I will need to prove that I am Emmet) I will need to show ID worth 6 points – my Birth Certificate and Social Security Card only equal 3 points. I am in a weird identity catch 22. Any advice would be helpful.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I recently tried to get a drivers license. Despite passing the test I was denied because the name on my Social Security card does not match all my other ID. Long story short – my mother, in an attempt to please all the relatives, named me Emmet on my birth certificate and Social Security account, but called me Tim. I have lived my life as Tim – I work under Tim, pay taxes under Tim, All my banking and credit accounts are under Tim. I even had the State Department declare Tim my official alias and now have a passport, (my only photo ID) under Tim. I was told by the Social Security Administration that my only choice was to pick one of the names and put everything under that name. I don’t want to change my name, (my mother is deceased and I wanted to honor her intentions in naming me), but looked into changing my name officially to Tim. After looking into the process I realized that my Birth Certificate and Social Security Card are not enough to prove that I am Emmet which I will need to do to change it to Tim. When I looked into changing my whole life to Emmet I discovered that to get a NY State photo ID card, (which I will need to prove that I am Emmet) I will need to show ID worth 6 points – my Birth Certificate and Social Security Card only equal 3 points. I am in a weird identity catch 22. Any advice would be helpful.
Go get a consult with a local attorney. You really do have to straighten out this mess. It will only cause more trouble as you get older. Putting the passport in the Tim name was where you really went wrong.

I also don't know how you manage to file taxes as Tim, because the IRS goes by the name on your Social Security card.

tim.larimer

I asked the same question - and I checked to make sure that all the SS taxes I have paid were credited to the proper account - and they were. I did the passport under Tim for the same reason that I can not get an ID card under Emmet - I don't have enough ID as Emmet to get a passport. Do you think that the State Department declairing Tim my alias will help?

LdiJ

I asked the same question - and I checked to make sure that all the SS taxes I have paid were credited to the proper account - and they were. I did the passport under Tim for the same reason that I can not get an ID card under Emmet - I don't have enough ID as Emmet to get a passport. Do you think that the State Department declairing Tim my alias will help?
Again, see an attorney. You really have a mess.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Go get a consult with a local attorney. You really do have to straighten out this mess. It will only cause more trouble as you get older. Putting the passport in the Tim name was where you really went wrong.

I also don't know how you manage to file taxes as Tim, because the IRS goes by the name on your Social Security card.
come on Ld, this one is easy. The IRS knows you by your social security number, year of birth and first four letters of your last name. They won't flag you for a first name.

Do you have school records? Generally, you have to provide a birth certificate to the school as proof of age.

tim.larimer

I will check - thanks. I went to private schools and I know my mom told them I went by Tim so I would not be embarassed by them calling me Emmet. Thanks. Do you have any other ideas about how documentation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">