• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice on recouping funeral costs from sister

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sandythebud

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

My Dad who lived with me recently passed away.
My Dad had a life insurance policy that had been taken out years ago which I know was to cover the cost of his burial. Since it had been from some time ago and my mother had already passed away, I had no idea who the current beneficiary was.
The funeral home contacted my sister to have her sign a claim form (as well as myself) so that the insurance company would pay the funeral home off of the top of the policy and any proceeds would go to the benfciciary. My sister refused to sign saying she didn't feel comfortable signing anything. Thus, I was stuck with the cost of the funeral.
It turned out that my sister was the beneficiary on the policy and I'm not expecting to see any money from it.
Can I sue her for the funeral costs?

Antigone*

My Dad had a life insurance policy that had been taken out years ago which I know was to cover the cost of his burial. Since it had been from some time ago and my mother had already passed away, I had no idea who the current beneficiary was.
The funeral home contacted my sister to have her sign a claim form (as well as myself) so that the insurance company would pay the funeral home off of the top of the policy and any proceeds would go to the benfciciary. My sister refused to sign saying she didn't feel comfortable signing anything. Thus, I was stuck with the cost of the funeral.
It turned out that my sister was the beneficiary on the policy and I'm not expecting to see any money from it.
Your father should have made you the beneficiary of the life insurance if you wanted it to pay for the funeral expenses. She is under no legal obligation to pay for anything.

BlondiePB

If there are assests of dad's that need to be probated, you can file a claim against his estate for his funeral expenses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">