• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need to find out if I was the product of artificial insemination!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

j-dawg44

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Born in PA, now live in DE.

Hello All,

I am 28 years old (born PA in 1980). My father is no longer alive and my mother is saying that I was the product of artificial insemination. She has had mental issues and has not always been the most honest person, and I would like to research this further.

Here is some information that may help me: I know which hospital I was born at and the name of my mother's ob/gyn. He recently passed away after heading the ob/gyn unit at the aforementioned hospital for a number of years.

If it turned out to be true, obviously I would not be able to get (now would I want) personally identifiable information about the donor. I would just want to know a.) if it's true and b.)the nationality of the donor (if that info is available).

Where should I start with my search? Thank you in advance.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

ErinGoBragh

The first in vitro fertilization in the US took place in 1981, so I believe your mother is pulling your leg.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_vitro_fertilisation

Edit: Never mind. I'm slow and failed to realize that artificial insemination and in vitro are two different thing. Apparently they're been artificially inseminating people since 1953. My deepest apologies.

Last edited:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Born in PA, now live in DE.

Hello All,

I am 28 years old (born PA in 1980). My father is no longer alive and my mother is saying that I was the product of artificial insemination. She has had mental issues and has not always been the most honest person, and I would like to research this further.

Here is some information that may help me: I know which hospital I was born at and the name of my mother's ob/gyn. He recently passed away after heading the ob/gyn unit at the aforementioned hospital for a number of years.

If it turned out to be true, obviously I would not be able to get (now would I want) personally identifiable information about the donor. I would just want to know a.) if it's true and b.)the nationality of the donor (if that info is available).

Where should I start with my search? Thank you in advance.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Genetic testing with members of your father's (not the possible donor) immediate family (ie: brothers, nephews). There is a company (in Arizona?) that does genetic testing to help genealogists with the research into family trees/origins. That's my first thought about this issue. ;)

LdiJ

Just as an FYI to everyone, both of my nieces are products of artificial insemination and both of of them are the biological children of both my sister AND her husband. Sometimes there are medical reasons for artificial insemination. Therefore there isn't always an outside "donor".

xylene

Get a DNA test.

Does your dad have any brothers?
Or a living paternal grandfather?
Do you have any male siblings?

Then test them.

If they have the same Y chromosome, then the probability is near certain the man you knew as father was with near certainty your biological father.

If not, then your mothers claim of artificial insemination is highly probable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">