• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

an1

I married my "husband" on may 25 1996 in NC. Recently I found out that he was still married to his exwife at the time. (By a Texas Common law marriage) Does this mean that our marriage isn't legal? We have two children and I am not a US citizen. Also 4 months ago he suffered a severe aneurism and is uncapable of supporting us financially, if were not married does this mean that our babies are not eligible for social security benefits?

G

Grandma B

If he was still married to wife #1, you would be correct in assuming that your marriage is not valid; however, that doesn't make him any less the father of your children. I suggest you have a consultation with an attorney ASAP.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">